Sunday, January 31, 2010

The Amish Discussion

This email was referring to the polygamist compound in Texas where everybody was married to everybody but I can't remember the name of them. In any case, it was gross and this started out discussing the picture of some of the ladies that were in the compound and their lack of Mary Kay products. But then it evolved into a discussion about being Amish and some of the people in the email group thinking they wanted to be Amish.......as if they could live without any modern conveniences. It was originated by Caitlin which is a rarity for sure. If you recall, she also had a fascination with the gypsies which had come to town some years earlier and thus the reference to the gypsies. This is an excellent example of how once an email discussion has begun, it can tend to meander down roads and back roads to who knows where.

Originated by Caitlin
Only the most enthralling thing ever.....
4-21-08


Caitlin
This is a screen cap of an interview with Fox News...
For those of you that were at Melanie's the other night the lady on the far
right is Sally and she was also on an interview with Larry King. I think she's
in on it. She has that same coy look all the time and she's older and has
been around longer. I think she threatens the other women into compliance.

Lisa
this has obviously replaced the gypsies in your fascination.....I know I will never win any beauty contests but COME ON!! It's just sad, sick and wrong.........

Carlie
One of the most fascinating things ever.
That is all.

Whitney
SAN ANGELO, TX IS WHERE JARRET GOES TO SCHOOL...SOMEONE CALL LISA G. CAUSE YOU KNOW SHE HAS INFORMATION

Lydia
the middle one could be her offspring look at the mouths

Lydia
It gives a whole new meaning to the word inbred

Whitney
SO Right!

Lindsey
I am fascinated by this and by the amish. Whitney when are we going amish.

Emma
I agree she is so in on it and I hope that Lindsey and Whitney go amish soon because that would make the rest of my year.

Judy
I think we should put the gypsies on the ranch in Texas and make the hair-doodle women put shiny metallic bells on their skirts and travel around in wagons.

Judy
I put an Amish costume in the children's church room today with a bonnet. Who wants it?

Lindsey
Me! I want to be amish.

Carlie
Lin, I want you to be amish.
They do let their real world sisters come visit, right?

Caitlin
Do you want to try out the amish lifestyle or be amish forever because I gotta tell ya I have no confidence that you could be amish forever

Carlie
Exactly, Caitlin. Which is why I would start a pool on how long they'd last.
Who's in?

Lindsey
Really?! Why not cait?

Caitlin
I'm totally in

Caitlin
Oh I don't know maybe because you just replied within 3 minutes (on your e-mail enabled phone) to me contacting you through the internet and not by letter... All that to say you have e-mail come straight to your phone in order to contact within seconds of attempted communication. You won't even wait until you reach a computer to check your e-mail but all of a sudden you'll be able to wait days on communication through letters...? Not likely.

Caitlin
Not bloody likely at all mate

Lindsey
Hmmm... You may be right. I should really think about it.

Carlie
Bravo, Caitlin, bravo.
I still want you to be amish. There are those that aren't as hardcore. Like, we saw this amish dude mowing his pasture with a regular lawn mower and not the ordinary ox-pulled machinery.
There's always hope.

Judy
well one of those amish people wrote a book. you don't think they hand printed millions of pages, do you?

Caitlin
Thanks carlie thanks.
I don't think a printing press is out of amish territory but e-mail certainly is and e-mail enabled phones most definitely are

Whitney
I CALL THE AMISH COSTUME!

Whitney
I cut down about a 15 foot tree today with a saw...im so amish already.

Caitlin
So does that make a lumberjack amish?

Lindsey
I already called it!!!

Judy
i told her that, Lindsey
uh, I think I got Lindsey's call on the costume about 8 or 10 emails ago....

Judy
Yes, Caitlin. All lumberjacks are Amish. It says so in the Bible.

Caitlin
Ha ha does not!

Carrie
you people crack me up..... and I could go amish til I had to go to..... REAL BATHROOM.....OR BATHROOM BATHROOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carrie
as I told Mrs. Judy recently.... she is more of a woman or man....and that was meant as a compliment.....for growing up with an outhouse.....

Melanie
I am enjoying the conversation but you girls wouldn't last an hour as amish. We are WAY too spoiled to our luxury items like tv and internet. I am home right now because the men are here installing a cabinet to hold a 50 INCH TV. What was I thinking when I didn't stop him at 42". Carrie is almost Amish because she has no tv now cause the cable company figured out they had her hooked up when she's not supposed to be so now she has no channels. She's on her way all she needs to do is get candles and turn off her AC and she's Amish.

Editor's Note: Then Whitney brought the discussion back around to the photo of the polygamy women and their appearance.
Whitney
Celebrity stylist and salon owner Ted Gibson thinks it gives off a "homely" impression.
"It says 'I don't really care very much. I really don't have time to worry about the way that I look, because I have 20 children,'" Gibson said. "He's going from wife to wife to wife, so why should I look any better than the other ones?"

Caitlin
Geez I think AC alone would get me!

Melanie
Tues. morning Laura Bush guest hosted on the Today show. I didn't get to see it but did watch it later on the internet. Jenna and Barbara were on talking about twins Jenna said she told her fiance Henry that she was still sleeping with Barbara on Christmas Eve. She said she didn't think he was too thrilled about that but they were negotiating. I thought that was cute and I like them. They also went to their ranch and talked about the eco-friendly-ness of it. I know that has gone around the internet about their house but neat to see it is true. We could be friends if they would just let me!

Carrie
Yes I totally agree! Didn't see it on the net or the tv that I barely have....I have decided that I really am going to learn spanish through watching TELEMUNDO......yes its a real station....
the episode of Friends is on when Ross and Joey go down the fire escape......cracks me up everytime....rabbit ears do work....SORTA ....

Carrie
I think that Miley Cyrus is a dark headed Emma!!!!!!!

Another editor's note: Caitlin sent a picture of Miley showing her unders to people. Which is completely ridiculous.
Caitlin
I had one of Miley Cyrus' stupid songs about my best friend leslie said or
something like that stuck in my head at 6:00 am this morning it was not
pleasant. So thanks for that Carrie......!
Also, I don't enjoy her. I think she's full of herself.
Also also, have yall seen this!? Another reason why I don't enjoy her.

Judy
Who's full of herself, Leslie, Miley Cyris or Carrie?
Is Miley Cyris a girl?

Lindsey
Give it a read Mrs Judy.

Judy
Miley Cyris is Hannah Montana? I think she's okay then - I'll have to go back and check Owen's dream to make sure though.....

Carrie
WELL I DIDNT SAY EMMAS ATTITUDE WAS LIKE MILEY OR HANNAH!!!!!!!
And I looked at those pictures... I don't think that is Miley/Hannah.......she is never lookin full on to the camera...but I have no views on her music, attitude or color of bras......just that she kinda looks like E ma sorta....AND I AM TOTALLY FULL OF MYSELF.....I AM WONDERFUL....

Judy
Carrie - you ARE totally wonderful! Even if you do say so yourself!

Carrie
thank you Judy... you are wonderful too and I said that

Judy
We're both such WONDERFUL people. That's why we make such WONDERFUL friends.

Carrie
yes wonderfulness abounds!!!!!!!

Lisa
I'm gonna throw up

6 comments:

Unknown said...

it makes me want to be amish again.

gnar car said...

lin, you would NEVER make it.

an i love the randomness of this email/post.

Unknown said...

but MAYBE i should try. i do have to take into account now i am a married lady and would have to convince my city boy hubby to go with me.... hahahahhahahahhahhahaha. that is laughable.

Unknown said...

oh. also i think i would only want to be amish in the summer. it is toooooo cold. i love my heater, but maybe they have a fire to keep them warm inside. but would i have to work outside?? like in the fields??? i would need a complete description of what would be expected of me.

Lisa said...

1. I want to be there when you tell Bill yal are gonna be Amish.
2. Yes I think you would have to do "labor" types of work.
3. I don't think it's like a summer vacation....oh I'm going to be Amish for the summer now I will see you in the fall.
4. I don't think they have a newsletter telling people all the in's and out's of being Amish.
5. You need to stay city.....when people ask what you are, just say, I'm city

Unknown said...

kill my dreams why don't ya...