Thursday, June 11, 2015

Lets take a trip to the North shall we?

I'll be leaving town later today and therefore won't be blogging until next week. But as promised, here's the beginning of multi posts about our vacation. 

We begin with patriotism brought on by the beauty of our country...

After our successful trip up north, I've been feeling very patriotic about America. It may sound cheesy and all, but the varied beauty of this country is fabulous. It's been a long time since my family's been on a major road trip, and although I was nervous about it, I was ready for one. We spent many hours gazing through car windows at the lovely countryside with sights that included mountains, streams, a gorge, quaint little towns and big cities. I'm a sucker for a freshly mowed field of hay rolls, horses and cows grazing peacefully in pastures, and Lord knows I love the Amish country with their stark white barns and clean looking houses. I also become enchanted by a lovely church on a hillside adjacent to a pretty cemetery. I saw all that and more. There really is something for everyone. Even yankees have pretentious grocery stores! Only they are bigger and better than ours. Ahh well, we have to give them something.  

There wasn't one ugly place along the way. And even though I'd love to see other parts of the world, I think I'll stick with the USA for now and try to see more of it first. It really is something to behold. We traveled through 11 states in all, Indiana just for two minutes purposely crossing a bridge just to enter and then get back on our route. But it counts!

So I was thinking....
Oh beautiful for spacious skies..... saw that.
For amber waves of grain...saw that
For green mountains majesties...saw that. (Not purple).
Above the fruited plain...ummmm maybe.

I just looked up the words to America the Beautiful and listened to Ray Charles sing it. His is the best ever. BUT. I didn't know there are eight verses to that song. It mentions patriots and pilgrims and alabaster cities and liberating strife. We need more of that. It's a great song describing our beautiful country. I'm glad to be born American. Not slamming anyone else's country, just proud to be an American. That's another song, but I'll hold off on that one for now. 

This post only covers some highlights from the trip up, and the states we traveled on our way to Pennsylvania. 
In Mississippi...
We saw the mighty muddy Mississippi.
Those are my kids. I know you know that. 
In Alabama...
We saw a quaint little town all dressed up for the Memorial Day honor.
In Georgia...
We saw the Northwest Georgia Mountains. 
In Tennessee...
We found the mountains in Chattanooga...
Breathtaking. 
Tried to sneak a pic in but Owen caught me. 
We stopped at a brand new Fairfield Inn in Bristol Tennessee on the first night. 
John did much maintenance on the car the week before we left for this trip. New tires, new brake lights that were out. We were certain we were leaving with the car in tip top shape. Well, on the morning we left, we were all in the car and after we prayed John tried to start the car and it made a half hearted attempt at starting and then did. He brushed it off as leaving the doors open for so long while packing the car. All day on the first day we drove and stopped and of course turned the car off. No problem. The next morning, when we were leaving this hotel, the car battery was dead as a hammer. Would. Not. Start. The hotel manager jumped our car off and we were on our way. Never had another problem with it that day. BUT. Once we arrived in Butler, we got a new battery and never had another worry with it. Thank you Lord.  
We spent much quality time together. 
It was a sweet suite. 
Speaks for itself.
Had to...because apparently he has equipment there. 
Half of this street is in Virginia and half is in Tennessee. Both are named Bristol. Not confusing at all. 
I told you.
You could jump back and forth all day. I didn't. But you could. 
The kids thought this sign was fab.
This was a weird castle/football stadium. 
I thought this was fab.
We left Tennessee then were in Virginia, then back in Tennessee, then back to Virginia. 
There are the lovely hay rolls I mentioned earlier. How picturesque is that? On the side of a mountain? I mean come on. Virginia was gorgeous. 
But we had to keep moving. 
Mountain tunnels....
Look just like under water tunnels inside. 
This was a disturbing sign. But I CANNOT believe I didn't take a picture  of the escape ramp! It went straight up and looked frightening. 
Same people the whole trip. 
Don't remember what we were laughing about here. 
But it  WAS NOT this. 
One more.
The gorge I mentioned earlier, in West Virginia. So high up, not for me.
We parked and got out and I had no idea I was gonna have an impromptu stress test at this place. 
Emma struck a pose for me.
That's Caitlin making her way to the lookout point.
A nice girl took this picture for us. 
The view was gorgeous. 
One more shot. 
That's what we had just driven over to get to this place. Glad I didn't know that beforehand. 
We then got back in the car and drove down to the river to have a closer look and that's when we discovered Owen was afraid of heights. I had no idea before this. He was gripping the door handle and very concerned about the closeness of our car to the edge of the drop off that had no guard rail. 
They took off for a view of the rushing river. 
I went part of the way but decided the treacherous terrain was a hazard and chose to stay back. A twisted ankle at this stage of the trip would have been a disaster. 
John was looking for something weird I suspect. 
They paused for a few.
We had such a fun time here. 
I tried to make Emma a mini. Clearly I have not perfected this technique. 
I know I took lots of them by the water, but who knows if we ever go again. 
Splitzies.
The other half. 
John seemed to have excitedly spotted something. 
Blurry tiny people. My camera kept focusing on the rock. 
Got to have all tiny blurry people documented. 
But then it was time to go and Owen was leaving with gusto.
We hated to leave because it was gorgeous and I could have stayed the whole day. 
Selfie to document I was in fact, there. 
Throughout the trip Owen needed for me to charge his phone on my charger in the front of the car. Every time I had his phone, I put this picture as his phone background. He would change it and I would change it back. It was an activity to pass the time. 
Another shot of the gorge bridge. Not short for gorgeous. But I guess it's both. 
And another.
The lovely ride back up the mountain. 



Then it was destination time. But we still had quite a ways to go. 
Pennsylvania countryside. 
Absolutely beautiful. Snow covered has to be off the charts gorgeous.  
Is that a fruited plain? Could be.
Very close...
I tried to pick the least buggy sunset through the windshield photo. 
I'm not saying it's a bad idea, but who decided to build houses on a mountainside? This flat land girl don't get it. Although it's lovely. 
I either wanted a profile of John's nose, or the sunset in the background. 
Lots of mountain tunnels. 
On the other side of this tunnel. 
Is Pittsburgh. 
Look that's me taking pics! I never saw this til now. 
Pretty sun on the downtown buildings.
Lots of bridges in Pittsburgh. 

That's a different bridge. 
The Pirates were playing. 
Beautiful sunset just behind the stadium. 
Last sunset pic of the day.
OK, next to last.
Steeler stadium. Blech. I'm not a Steeler fan. At all. 
That's the 411 on the trip up to "our nations's attic" as Olivia coined it. 

There's so much more to report on the trip and I will, but first, a short trip down south to see the Turners and the Clines and a new house. And the main attraction of course...Lucas. 

After a 3,166 mile trip, they're all short trips right now. 

It's almost 3:00 in the A.M. and I have to be up and ready at the crack of 10:30. 

So I gots to go to the softest bed I know.

It's hot in Louisiana, so it must be summer. Or October or November or December....you see where this is going....

OK, I'm out!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Wonderful post!! Loved the pics

gnar car said...

love it! the gorge bridge was so gorge.

Anonymous said...

All BEAUTIFUL!! I really enjoy going along on a trip through photos especially photo streaming!!

Mrs. Ford said...

Glad you had a safe and enjoyable trip. Loved having you visit!

Becky said...

Love the travel journal suggestions for our trip in August! Great pics and story.