Monday, November 15, 2010

Some things and Mr. Charles

The painting is finished. The headboard is finished. And my underwear is no longer in the den. I'm very pleased and relieved about that especially. I like the color of the room and the headboard as well. I'll be posting the pictures soon. There's still stuff to do like hang pictures but progress has been made. I hate the process but I enjoy the finished product. But the one bad thing about it is the fact that it makes everything else look worse. So what does that mean? More home improvement is in my future. Which means more paint choosing and more deciding. That's not good.

A very important byproduct of my room being painted was an exceptional find underneath my bed. A while back I brought some boxes home from Corsicana and most of them went to Mom's house. However, I guess I shoved one under my bed and forgot about it and Emma opened it yesterday and found all sorts of photographic treasures inside. Billie June looked at some tonight and identified most of the people but quite a few of the pictures are very unfamiliar to me. There are some of Gran and Grandma and the farm I don't recall ever seeing before. I will be posting some of these as soon as I can get them scanned. There are also lots of photos sent by parents in the family to Gran and Grandma over the years. But beware people! There are some doozies of certain people in the family especially Becky, Dale and Brooke. They will be rearing their ugly head soon (no pun intended). I'm pleased to announce the only questionable one of me was the bad comb over jobber that I already posted from Good Shepherd. Just don't forget I'm an equal opportunity embarrasser.

Fall is finally beginning to cooperate a little bit. I saw the most gloriously red tree today. It's looking like it's time for the camera to start doing some serious clicking.

Owen begins driver's ed tomorrow afternoon. I can't even believe it. The other day he said something to me about being in high school and I just about fell over. I mean....it's not like I haven't known this....but....once again.....it hit me right in the face. It's truly unbelievable to me that my youngest child is a 15 year old high school student. Some days I wish I could freeze time for a little while. I know my kids have to grow up and become who they are supposed to be but I didn't know it would go by so fast and furiously. Makes me happy and sad at the same time.

Two weeks ago a man we go to church with named Charles Stanley passed away suddenly. He was 73 years old and had some health issues but it was still a shock to us. In the last few years I've really learned what it means to call my church people family. They really are part of my family. So when Mr. Charles died, it hurt my heart so much. He was a little like Gran to me. Every week he'd come over and greet us and give us a hug and say, "Hello little ladies." I loved that. I loved Mr. Charles. I loved his hugs and his smile. He was such a sweet man. Today was my first day without a hug from him. It broke my heart a little. Almost every Sunday he wore a suit and tie. He was an old school gentleman. He can't ever be replaced. His wife, Pauline, is absolutely one of the nicest people I've ever met. She seemed OK today but I know she's hurting. Please remember her in your prayers. They hadn't been married too long....less than 10 years. They were so cute together. I will always miss him.

No comments: