Thursday, November 11, 2010

Some stories and an important update

After further review of one of the nun pictures I realized I misidentified Sister Joseph Marie as Sister Geraldine. All the information about the bad knees and the meanness was accurate but it wasn't Sister Geraldine. Sister Joseph Marie was my 2nd grade teacher. Sister Geraldine, who was also mean as dirt, was my 6th grade teacher. She was the one who kept all the girls in at recess one day to tell us we couldn't wear fingernail polish to school anymore. She said if God wanted our fingernails painted, we would have been born that way. I suspected her reasoning was flawed, but I didn't wear fingernail polish to school anymore because....always remember....nuns scared the begezez out of me. Also Sister Geraldine was THE NUMBER ONE OFFENDER of calling me Walker ALL THE TIME. It annoyed me so much.

And in thinking about my days at Good Shepherd, I recalled an incident that happened to me in the 2nd grade. I had a brand new white shoulder bag purse I thought was grand. It was my own valuable treasure. One day I took this purse to school with me and inside it was one whole dollar. I was as proud of my one dollar as I was my little white purse. When it came time to go to recess I desperately wanted to make a fashion statement with my purse on the playground, but Sister Joseph Marie had said under no circumstance were we to come back into the classroom during recess. I didn't think I'd get tired of it....I got tired of it. So I decided to sneak back into the classroom and put my purse at my desk. It was a successful mission.

Well, when we came back in after recess, I immediately opened my purse to enjoy the sight of my dear dollar only to discover it had been stolen!! I was so upset, and I wanted the perpetrator punished! Without thinking about how my story would play out, I very quickly went to tell Sister Joseph Marie my entire life's savings had been stolen out of my purse.....BUT....she'd seen me leave for recess with my purse. She asked me how my dollar had been stolen out of my purse with all of us in the classroom since we had come in during the last 2 seconds. It was then that I realized my story was flawed. 

How was I to get my wonderful little dollar back without incriminating myself? I danced all around my lie for as long as I could as Sister JM waited for me to admit I'd disobeyed her and snuck in to put my purse at my desk. She peppered me with questions and I stood my ground....shaky as it was. Finally I had a decision to make. Either I was going to have to admit to the disobedience or lose my dollar forever......I never saw my lovely little dollar again. But, she knew. I knew she knew. She knew I knew. She knew that the stealing of my one and only dollar was to be my punishment. It was a hard lesson to learn, but I didn’t get in trouble with her or the Billie June. Those nuns were tricky.

Another Good Shepherd story was when I decided to join the Brownies. One day an announcement was made during school there would be a meeting that very afternoon for all little girls wanting to be a Brownie. When I heard about this I was immediately intrigued, so I made the instant decision I'd stay after school for the meeting. I was never really one to join organized clubs and stuff at school so I think I was thinking when they mentioned Brownies I was dreaming of YUM and not so much the Girl Scouts. Once again my thinking was flawed. Lots of little kid thinking is EXTREMELY flawed. 

Well, back in the day our mode of transportation for getting home from school was taking the CITY BUS every day. Don’t even get me started on that. How many pervs were on that bus back in the day looking for cute little kids? Anyway, with my decision to stay at school I had no idea a storm was brewing named Billie June. When the last bell rang that day, I happily skipped to the Brownie meeting excitedly anticipating my sugary confection. NOW, when the city bus arrived at our house, I wasn’t on it, and Billie June had NO idea where the heck I was. Well, I guess she called the school or drove to the school but after some panicked moments, she discovered I was becoming a Brownie. She was NOT happy with me. 

However on my side of the story, my heart was crushed because there were no brownies at the meeting. I was very disappointed to find out that Brownies were something you became and not something you ate, and therefore I wasn’t interested in becoming one at all. Unfortunately, Billie June didn’t see it like that. So when I told her I decided against joining their storied organization, she irrationally decided my punishment would be just that…..joining the Brownies. It was a terrible twist of fate for me. The moral to this story is of course....don’t piss off Billie June. The only Brownie event I remember participating in was an early morning trek to the woods on a Saturday. Didn’t these people know that was my day off? And I distinctly remember we had puppies at home at the time and I desperately wanted to stay home and play with them but Billie June INSISTED I go to the woods. She was as tricky as those nuns.

Another story Lindsey reminded me of the other day was the terrifying spider incident when I still lived at home. One day as I was drying my hair in the bathroom, I felt a little tickle on my back and when I looked, there was a big spider crawling on me!! Crikey!! I had to do something fast! Well we had this roll hair brush that weighed about 15 lbs. and could have doubled as a murder weapon in a pinch and it just so happened to be in my hand at the time. Without thinking clearly, I reacted quickly and used the brush to try to hit the spider OFF OF MY OWN BACK. I took that brush and WHAM!! I winded myself with my own beat down. After a quick recovery and another check for the creature, I saw it was still there so….still in a panic.....one more time......KAPOW!! I hit myself AGAIN!! I must have knocked myself out the second time because I don't remember anything after that. Obviously I didn't kill myself because I'm still here. I hope I'm not as stupid as I used to be.

Those are the stories for the day but I have an update on my eyebrows. After close inspection of my brows with a 10X mirror, I discovered a scar and therefore explains why no brow hair grows in that spot. Although it’s an explanation, it’s still disappointing. Then over the weekend, Rebecca June informed me that it was from a bicycle accident she and I had. She was driving the bike; I was riding on the handle bars (disaster waiting to happen) and sure enough we wrecked, I got bloodied up and it was then that my eyebrows were irrevocably changed. It's a very sad story.

Which brings me to another story after mentioning the 10X mirror. Unfortunately as you get older, your eyesight just doesn't hold up. One night Melanie, Lindsey and I were in Bed Bath and Beyond and we happened upon a lighted 10X mirror. As Melanie and I stood there looking at ourselves in separate mirrors, we began to exclaim about the horror that was our faces in extremely close up lighted conditions. Lindsey still insists the exclamations were very loud....I contend they were not. But, in a 10X mirror ALL flaws are at attention and very visible. It was and still is frightening. We both bought one. I now scare myself on a regular basis.

Also the Dallas trip was fun and successful. I've got pictures to post soon.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

you were very loud.

Unknown said...

and the brownie story is funny EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Anonymous said...

Hahaha no not loud but yes very funny