Wednesday, August 18, 2010

It's only Wednesday

This week feels sloggy. Yeah that's a word because I just used it in a sentence. I'm exhausted and it's only Tuesday because this week's been sloggy. See? In the past week I've searched all over town looking for school supplies for the boy and after 5 trips, 4 stores, and 1 house, I've finally gathered all the things he needed. It took a combination of John, Caitlin, Emma, Olivia, Owen, Randy and myself to accomplish this goal. Randy contributed one manila folder so I wouldn't have to buy 24....which is ridiculous.

As far as day to day school attire, the 3 sisters and I are helping pick out his wardrobe nightly, making sure he's acceptable before he heads out the door. And since he's color blind, he could use a little extra assistance in making sure he doesn't clash. Although, Caitlin's still leaning towards the metrosexual look for Owen, he's just not going there.

And as he's trying to adjust to the new lifestyle as quickly as possible, he's still nervous about all the new rules and regs and trying to stay out of trouble. But what Owen doesn't yet realize is that usually the kids that are worried about the rules and regs are usually the kids that don't get in trouble. Like yesterday when he was sent to the office to try to get his homeroom confusion straightened out. Just as he was leaving the office, the bell rang and he panicked. He took off running for his class instead of pausing to take a breath and ask the office people for a note. He didn't get in trouble for being late but I know it's a big deal for him to be the good kid. And although I love that, it can be the source of a huge amount of pressure to live up to. So John and I are constantly reminding him to take it easy and it will all be OK. He keeps agreeing with us but I can tell he's not yet convinced. Owen's stated main goal is to be an honor student and make a name for himself academically. Lord help him keep that attitude.

The early hours are a huge adjustment to him and I don't even have to tell him to go to bed. He's more than ready. I still contend that if everyone's day started at 10:00 AM and ended at 2:00 PM the world would be a much happier place. Early rising is just uncalled for and harsh. I don't see any early risers that can hang with late night peeps and yet at some point WE have to adjust to an early schedule. I consider late night peeps flexible, magnificent people.

But there's more than one adjustment being made right now because I'm really missing him during the day. And then next week college begins and it'll be crazy around here for some time. And for the first time in 22 years, I'm back to being the home alone mom who's jobs include: taxi driver, appointment scheduler, grocery shopper, dishwasher unloader, head laundry doer, encourager, worrier (still working on that Lord) and all around organizer. And if this year's the last year I have all my chickens under one roof, then Lord help me get ready for the future.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Totally agree us latenighters are far more flexible than early birds. We may have to start lunching cause it is just too dang quite around here with no one around. If only we had a business to start that would make us gazillionares!!