Monday, February 22, 2010

Saving a life

Melanie, Lydia, Lindsey and I were on our Sunday ride today and when I saw that the fog was looking quite lovely rolling in over the river I decided I wanted to try my hand again at taking some pictures. I've always wanted to take successful fog pictures but as they have sucked in the past, I decided I'd try again. I called Emma, asked her to meet us with my camera, she agreed and so the four of us enjoyed the view as we waited. After she arrived, we eventually made our way over to the stables behind Chauvin and were taking pictures of the horses in the mist. It was as completely enchanting as it sounds.

But trouble was brewing whilst she I were snapping away because Melanie, Lindsey and Lydia were watching a horse in an adjacent pasture that seemed to be stuck in a fence. Melanie decided to trek out to the horse to discover if he was in fact stuck or just longing to be in his neighbor's yard. Sure enough she discovered both of his front feet were caught in wire that was hanging from the fence. He was totally stuck and really couldn't get out at all by himself. So once again, because Lucy cannot work without Ethel, and.......Lindsey, or, Ethel in training, and I, Ethel number 1 went out to assist her. I was pressed into service while wearing my pj pants, as well as rocking the Chinese sock and sandal combo. Lydia in the meantime was standing near the barn in her pink flowered flannel jammies. It was quite a sight to behold.

Well, once Lindsey and I joined Melanie in the pasture, the task at hand was to get him to raise his feet, separately of course, and extricate him from the wire. It was only after he tried to stick his nose in some nether places.....either he was very friendly or very grateful....did he then decide to cooperate in the rescue of himself by fairly easily lifting each of his feet.....separately of course. He seemed extremely pleased with our effort because he nudged us and then proceeded to follow Melanie the whole way to the gate. It was soooo obvious he wanted to hop in the car and go with us. But after some discussion amongst the four of us, and the fact that there was no bed for him to sleep in at any of our houses, we sadly left him to his current owners. In other words as a Jacobs' said recently, we did not "relocate" the horse. It would be lovely to have a horse in my backyard but I don't think he would fit through the back door when it was time to go to bed.......sigh. Maybe next Sunday we shall again look for horses in danger and in need of our help. Our Sunday ride work is never done. And man was there A LOT of pooh out in the pasture. We had to step rather gingerly. Some of us were more successful than others.

He was brown and a little dirty but quite lovely all the same.
Farewell sweet horse.
It was an excellent rescue.
I think I may have heard him sigh as we drove away.








It was a successful picture adventure as well.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ethel in training and Ethel 1 hahahaha love it and sometimes I'm Ethel but yesterday I admit I was Lucy

CAW said...

Nice work ladies! I suspect that will be a regular route on the ride from now on. To say hello to horsy and yes on the Lucy and Ethel...we all take turns on those roles

Unknown said...

i worried about him all night that night! we should have gotten a reward. like the horse. just give him to us.