Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Big Frank's Serenades.....

The other day Carlie reminded me of Big Frank's serenades and it got me to thinking about some of the songs he used to sing. I remember when the restaurant would be really really slow at night....at about 7:30 to 8:00....and he would be sitting at a table on the new side and he would begin singing loudly, "You're losing me......." This meant that because business was slow, he was ready to go home....and very soon after....he was out the door headed to the house.

Another song he sang to his daughters and granddaughters was, "You are so beautiful to me." I liked that one alot. There was also, "Unforgettable, that's what I am." Of course he changed those words to that's what I am instead of what you are. Big Frank loved Willie Nelson, Tony Bennett, Al Martino and Perry Como just to name a few but for some reason he never liked Frank Sinatra much at all.

But Big Frank did love music, always, except for a period of time during and after the summer of 1998 when his broken heart just couldn't bear to listen to it anymore. He did after awhile begin to listen to it after some time had passed and God healed his heart; he was able to enjoy it again. There really is just something about the ability for music, with or without words, to evoke memories or ease a troubled mind or soul. I think Big Frank would agree.

3 comments:

gnar car said...

I remember we would talk about music all the time and he said that, "life just isn't the same without music." and I completely agree. I like to think I got my love of music from him.

And I SANG "you're losing me..." last night!! And sang it just like he used to.

He never liked Frank Sinatra?! This, I did not know. He loved Michael Buble and told me that if he ever came to Dallas, he'd go with us.

Unknown said...

i miss him so. and i can still here him singing both of those songs. and the way he smelled.

CAW said...

When Mom came to Dallas a year or more ago. Maybe the first time after Dad died. Keith,Becky,Mom and I went to Brunos for dinner. They have a piano player there. He takes requests. Although Mom and Dads song is "It had to be you" Mom asked the piano player to play "Unforgettable" as well. I think she liked that one alot. I miss him too.