Thursday, September 16, 2010

The living room ride

Hayrides have been a long standing tradition in Corsicana going back 34 years and during that time, they have evolved from bales of hay to mattresses and now presently to lawn chairs. It's redneck lovely.

We've always loved a good hayride and then as we had kids, they all loved it as well. And as the tradition continues, it's now been dubbed "the living room ride" by Ella. And so it will be.

At 51 years old, I see very clearly now how much work went into each and every July 4th and how much Gran and Grandma did to make it wonderful for us. The memories are unmatched by anything else in my mind. For 20 solid years we celebrated July 4th with them at their small home. And I don't think I ever thanked them enough or maybe even at all. I just showed up, helped a little and loved it a lot. And now the work to me is worth it to make new memories and have the best of fun with as many people as we can cram into that tiny house. It's worth the furniture moving and the cooking and the planning and all that goes along with a big family spending time together for just a few days. Because in the blink of an eye 34 years passed and so many faces are no longer here. I'm absolutely certain I never appreciated it as much as I should have while it was happening. What we have now....what we've always had...many people rarely get even a glimpse of. And yet it's all we've ever known. What an amazing blessing we've been given. I'm determined to appreciate it like I never have before.

I can't say it enough times...God has been so good to us. I'm grateful for everything He's done for us. He chose each one of us and made us into something that most people only wish they could experience. He made us a family.

It's a simple word that encompasses so much.

















































This picture deserved some commentary.
Ummm.....Maggie.....what?
And Carlie you have achieved a different nationality.
You are 8 shades darker than your sister.

















Pictures capture the most wonderful times and I'm so glad about that.

4 comments:

gnar car said...

apparently i do look hispanic to some...

and omg that picture of me with jeff and ava in the background, cute pic if i, the weirdo face person, wasnt in there! hahahhaha

great words too! they hayride was fab but next time i need for cush...my bum was hurting by the end of it.

Maggie said...

that was olivia! she caught me off guard!
that is some seriously light when it flashes.

Anonymous said...

and that is why most of the moms followed in the suburban we old

CAW said...

Haha so great. The Pics and the words. So good And I wish we could ride in a trailer that had real seats. That would b the ultimate living room ride. I love that new name!!!