Thursday, October 21, 2010

Old family photos

I am LOVING the old photos these days and I'll be posting them for a while. I got some more family history from Mom today and I'll be working on that as well but there's still so much more to get.

These pictures are a random sampling of things to come. I wish I could have known these people who passed away before I arrived but it was not to be.

The lady on the left is my great grandmother, Gran's mother, Myrtle Leona Monroe Etheredge. After seeing this photo of her I recognize that I have 2 things in common with her. The lady on the right is Gran's cousin Beverly, her mom was Jewel, Gran's sister.


This is Gran, Bessie and Billie June outside the house they lived in before they moved to the farm. Billie June is looking quite prissy.


Here on the left is Big Frank with his brother Joe somewhere in Europe during World War II.


We can't decide who these 2 girls are. And this is why I wish I had done a better job of getting the info from Mollie and Nina before they left us. Now we'll never know. The iron fence in the background is beautiful.


This is Big Frank and a lady named Frances Hunt. She worked for Maggie and Jim. The rocking chair makes me say UGH.


This is Gran's family. Starting on the left, that's Truly, his sister Jewel, his mom Myrtle Leona holding the baby Johnny Faye who died of whooping cough when she was tiny. Gran talked about the terrible night she died and I think it grieved him each time he remembered it. His father William Edgar is the really tall man, Gran's little brother Rayward (what were they thinking), and the last man on the right was Myrtle Leona's brother, who was a detective for the railroad. BJ couldn't think of his name. He has a badge on his belt and Mom said Gran said he was always a snazzy dresser.


This last photo is a real treasure. It's a great photo of my dad's father, James Gibson Walker. I have much to say about him when I get it all straight on paper. Hopefully that will be soon. Looks like he done lassoed himself a cow.

There's more to come...

3 comments:

Maggie said...

He was a detective for the railroad??? what? That seems like such an awesome job!

gnar car said...

james gibson. best name ever.

Anonymous said...

And that would be lassoed him a BULL. It was a prize winning bull or maybe that was just bull