Monday, October 25, 2010

Billie June from her childhood to her children

All of these photos are of my mother Billie June Etheredge Walker. 

This first one was taken by a traveling photo man that would come through towns back in the day. I guess it was kind of like a traveling Olin Mills, if you will. I'm not sure why the photo man picked a goat and a cart for photo taking, but it obviously enticed Bessie to want this picture. 

BJ looks quite adorable in her Little Miss Bluebonnet 1929 cart. She was 2 years old at the time, which means this photo was taken 81 years ago.


In these next 2 pictures it looks like she has on the same outfit as the goat pic, so I'm guessing maybe it was the same day and just another backdrop.




This picture features a slightly older Billie June wearing a dress made by Bessie. Bessie, her Mom, made all of Mom's clothes. Bessie was a self taught seamstress who made beautiful clothes, as well as upholstered furniture. I'm only capable of sewing buttons back on, but only after the piece of clothing sits around for a year or two. Buttons don't just jump back into their spots.


Billie June second from left, at the pool with some friends. She's looking mighty sassy if you ask me.


Billie June as a beautiful young lady. Now she's a beautiful OLD lady. Ha Billie!


These next 2 pictures were taken on June 30, 1949. Billie June Etheredge with her soon to be husband Frank Meredith Walker on their wedding day. This was taken in Corsicana in front of Gran and Grandma's house. 

They eloped to Tyler because of the whole Baptist marrying a Catholic thing. It was frowned upon A LOT. That's her wedding dress. We still have it. They look happy and extremely stylish. They went to New Orleans on their honeymoon and ate at A Court of Two Sisters while they were there.


This picture was taken in Tyler Texas, and includes the priest who married them as well as Dad's brother Howard and his wife Mary Catherine who were their witnesses at the ceremony. I think they all look smashing, including the priest whose ensemble was "chosen" for him


This was taken in the front yard at 212. That's Dad's mother Maggie Walker. 


This is Billie and Frank's firstborn Frank Meredith Walker Jr. He was born at the Navarro Clinic in Corsicana Texas. They both look pretty happy with their boy. Billie looks very glamorous for just having had a baby. She must have come prepared because she has a little makeup case on the window sill. I wish I had that case! I love it.


This is Navarro Clinic where Frank, Becky and Dale were born. It's now an apartment building in Corsicana.


I've posted some of these photos before, but I love them so I'm posting them again. This is all 8 of us on Easter morning 1963 in Monroe Louisiana. Although I'm pretty sure I'm picking a wedgie, I think we all look fantastic.


I think you can see the joyful look on Billie June's face here. She's surrounded by her 6 children and is happy with her role as a mother. She was and still is great at it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

So great!! I love getting to see all these and get a glimpse into our history! Fabulous.

gnar car said...

this was so cool!

love all the old pics. grandma is so fab.