Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Are we hurricane ready?

Well the hurricane is almost upon us and I'm not sure how this is going to affect the upcoming Texas weekend getaway. We've been assured of 100% chance of rain starting any minute now, and if my electricity can go out on a sunshiny day, how will it stay on through hurricanish winds? I'm praying we don't lose our power so as to be able to leave town on Friday, but we shall see.

Currently I'm sitting on my couch freezing just so I can enjoy some air conditioning in case the power does go out. I feel as if we've been lax in our preparedness considering what we've bought for the emergency. Last night Caitlin was watching TV in our living room and called for anyone walking by to bring her two double A batteries for the flicker and since John was in the area, he grabbed some out of a drawer and took them to her. She quickly discovered they were bad. I LOVE IT WHEN THAT HAPPENS. Sidebar...this occurs due to the fact that someone will replace batteries and rather than throw the bad ones away, will leave them on the counter and then another someone will come by and scoop them into a drawer. And that's how bad batteries never go away. ANYWAY, Caitlin finally got up off her perch and got the two last legitimate double A's in the house and was incensed that a hurricane was on the way and we weren't battery ready. Once this was discovered, I decided maybe she was correct and decided to go purchase some. But when I asked Caitlin if we had any D or C's, she said, "What do you mean?" And of course I calmly said, "What do you mean what do I mean, do we have any D's or C's?" To which she replied, "I didn't know there were other alphabets." And I'm not even kidding. So this led me to enter the utility room to discover John's fishing junk firmly wedged in front of the battery drawer which then caused me to call for a "clean up on aisle 9" before I left to get batteries. John was soooo happy about that. So after we tidied and inventoried, John and I went in search of the necessary alphabets of batteries. Once we secured those, we remembered we needed cat food so we went to a second store to make the pet purchase. Once we were in the pet aisle, I remembered we needed dog chews and treats as well. Now fast forward to this afternoon when I got home from work and Caitlin asked me to drop her at the store to get coffee creamer. So to sum up, if the hurricane emergency preparedness list includes flicker batteries, cat food, dog treats and coffee creamer, then we're ready.

Carrie and I have facetimed two nights in a row for over an hour each time and therefore I've done very little to finish Florida pictures.

I'm so over it.

And it's Carrie's fault.

Godspeed to all peeps in the hurricane's path.

Hope to see y'all in Texas.

Get along little doggies.

2 comments:

gnar car said...

batteries are freaking expensive.

Anonymous said...

hahahahaaha didn't know there were other alphabets. how sheltered are our children? Really? :)