Tuesday, February 1, 2011

What's been happening

I've not been in the blogging mood at all lately. I have many reasons, that I can't share, but because of these reasons, my attitude has been one of suckage. So, as not to let the suckage seep out in word form, I've restrained myself from typing out steady streams of sewer filled consciousness. Although you may be curious about the reasons for my bad tude, they aren't my stories to tell. So, to respect the privacy of others, I'll leave it there. But, if you've ever suffered the loss of a dream and thought it was the worst thing ever to happen, it's even worse when it happens to your children. In the last two weeks, it's happened to two of mine. Even though another dream may take the place of the ones lost or postponed, it's still painful. I know of what I speak. I've seen many of mine die in a fiery crash in the last several years. Even when trusting God should always be the norm, it still hurts and takes time to heal.

On a lighter note, Owen got his semester grades last week and I'm proud to report he made all A's again. Because of his grades, in the next few months, he'll have the opportunity to test on a regional level in Science or Math. If he does well, he'll then progress to compete at the state level. We are excited for him because it was his desire to do well academically and he's achieving his goal.

I still can't believe he's in public school.....not that there's anything wrong with public school.....it's just not what I'd planned for any of my kids to do. It's one of those dreams I had to let go. Even with his excelling, and even though his teachers love him and couldn't be more complimentary, it's been difficult for me. To be told your fifteen year old son is, "A joy" as well as a gentleman is a blessing for us. Even when that "gentleman" often nearly knocks down one of his sisters to get in the door first...pretty sure brothers don't see sisters as girls.

He's home today with a badly sprained ankle that happened during PE class. So, John set him up with his foot in an ice bath that Addy quickly decided could double as a second water bowl. Caitlin said,"It's like Owen's foot is a cinnamon stick in her drink." Dogs have few standards for liquids.

On the movie front this week, Secretariat has become one of my all time favorites. I LOVE knowing it has a happy ending. It makes me want to do something fantastic like the lady that owned Secretariat, but the chance I'll end up on a farm in Kentucky raising the next Secretariat is not bloody likely.

Staying with the theme of movies and TV, I love American Pickers. I love the two guys. I love to see where they go. I love to see what they find. I love IT ALL. It's fantasticness.

On a random note, the other day the girls and I were riding down the street and Olivia saw this little old lady raking her yard with something Olivia referred to as big yellow "salad tongs" and she said, "That looks like some awesome infomercial tool." She was genuinely jealous of the lady's infomercial tool....but not the actual work the lady she was performing with the tool. It made me laugh.

Today Caitlin bought an umbrella that's big enough to have it's own time zone. Then when Olivia got home and saw Caitlin's, she got hers out. The two are almost identical and when put together, could shelter a small city.

See for yourself.


Today Carlie reminded me of something stupid I said a few years ago that made me laugh again. Someone had done something really hurtful and stupid to someone in our family. It was just a terribly awful event. Well, one day Carlie passed this person on the road and when she told me she'd seen the guy, I asked, "Did he look sorry?" At that particular moment in time, Carlie seemed to think I was an idiot. Is it possible to convey grief or sorrow in a fleeting second as you pass someone in a vehicle going 40 miles an hour? Apparently not.

Lastly seeing as how this has turned into random thoughts and events. I think I've found a fashion icon in my house.

Check it out.


She looks just like Audrey Hepburn.


She wears it well.


My life quickly needs to get a good kind of interesting in order for this blog to keep existing.

Peace out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hahahah "did he look sorry?" is one of the best ever! we laughed so hard over that.