Saturday, February 26, 2011

The week I just lived

Not much happening this week, but I think I've made some progress about worrying. I've been thinking logically about what good worry does me. I've heard much preaching about not worrying. I've read many times about what Jesus said about worrying. In a nutshell? He said don't do it. But I have. I've spent a lot of time working out my problems in my head but to no avail. And then this week things began to change. This week God planted a seed in my head. He asked me to try to remember something, anything I've made better by worrying. Did it make a paycheck bigger or make a sick person well or make one single outcome better? The answer to all of these questions of course was no. Couldn't think of a thing. Nothing. So NEWSFLASH, worrying hasn't changed one thing in my life for the better.

As the week unfolded, every time I found myself trying to work out a problem in my head, I shut the door on worry and I turned my focus to something else. I'm happy to report so far, it's been a success. I know there's more work to do but I'm determined to continue to turn my problems over to God and never take them back, because I can't change any of it anyway, only God can. I'm also determined to stop saying I'm working on ANYTHING about myself because it's not accurate, at least it's not for me. Think about it for one minute. What of myself can I fix on my own? The answer is absolutely nothing. Only God can make things better in me. I just have to be willing to let Him. And I've chosen to do that. I've chosen to say, I'll turn everything over to you and just go along for the ride, be it bumpy or smooth. So because of these developments, I'm pleased to say I'm happy with my progress as a human being this week.

Which brings me to this, last night I talked to someone I hadn't seen in years. I didn't recognize her. She recognized me. She was cute and petite and I thought she looked adorable. We talked for about 15 minutes and just as I was about to leave she told me her 22 year old son had died 2 months ago. Then she said, "I hope it gets better." As she spoke about him it was clear her heart was broken. But if she hadn't told me about her son, I'd have left thinking she had it all. She "looked" like someone that did. She didn't. And it was one more reminder to me to never believe what you see with your eyes. People are hurting and hiding it everywhere. It doesn't make me glad to know it. It just makes me feel much less lonely knowing I'm not the only one struggling at life.

And that's the week I lived. Here's hoping for great days ahead, even if I have no idea what's about to happen.

1 comment:

Monica said...

Thanks for sharing this, Lisa. I'm a bit of a worry-er myself and could really relate to trying to work things out in your head...cept it's my head...anyway.
And have also found that to be the case about there are people hurting everywhere. I think every person has a battle. In the past few years, I have had the opportunity to hear so many peoples stories and I am both heartbroken and awed. Heartbroken at the things that people have been through and awed at the people they are today because of Gods healing and restoring.
Even when we do everything in our power... the unthinkable still happens. Our worrying doesn't change that. But our God makes all things new in His time.
Thanks for sharing your heart. You do such a fantastic job of expressing your heart and sharing your stories. :)