Friday, July 1, 2011

Lord help me make it 19 more days

Up until today, I've had more days left of my 39 day summer job than I didn't. But now, I'm able to say I have 19 days left or.....19 more choruses of Kumbaya. I consider it the home stretch. But even with the finish line in the distance, I'm not certain I'll make it. Any and all things may cause me to stumble and fall and end in a crumpled heap with 13 to 18 children standing over me laughing and yelling,"We knew we'd break you!!" And yet I'm determined not to let that happen. It's possible children could bring down dictators and communist countries if given enough time, access and funding, cause man those people can wear you down.

In the first week I taught them my favorite game. When asked the question, "What's Mrs. Lisa's favorite game?" They all YELL, "The quiet game!" Yes, that's true. I love silence. A silent child is a holy child. A sleeping child is heaven on earth. And why in the world wouldn't you let them sleep til their parents pick them up at 5:00? Makes no sense to me.

I had a nuh uh, uh huh fight with a 3 year old today and when he changed his nu uh to uh huh in order to trip me up, I didn't fall for it and therefore, considered myself the victor. I was ever the adult while in the argument. It's almost impossible to keep my adultness at the ready when dealing with children. They are like nuclear winter for the mind. They lie about having to go to the bathroom. They lie about washing their hands. They lie about gluing, cutting, crafting, running, walking standing, sitting, talking......takes the breath away.

When I get home a little after 5, we play the quiet game at my house. It's a must in order for me to keep my sanity. I have 3 days off and then it's back at it. While everyone else is counting their precious summer vacation days off, I'm doing just the opposite. I'm begging Fall to arrive as quickly as possible and when it does.....and while the rest of the world is crying in their collective pillows, I'll be hearing the sound that I love the most.....me saying, "Ahhhhhhhhhhh," very quietly. I just have to figure out how to get through 19 more days without medication or tequila shots. Both seem inappropriate for a child care giver.

I think I can.

I think I can.

I think I can.

No comments: