Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Some things about my blog and decorations

It's been a trying couple of days starting Sunday night about 7:00pm and then all day and night Monday when during those hours my blog was missing. It's now happened 2 times in the last 3 weeks and it's VERY disturbing. I can't even imagine losing this blog that I've worked on for the last 15 months, but I also can't imagine printing out 15 months of my blog. That would take reams of paper. I don't know what I'm gonna do. I'm just very grateful that it came back.

And now an update on my white trash Christmas:
OK, so I reported details about the messed up icicle lights that John fixed and after the fixing, Owen and John put them back up. Well, they worked for about a day and a half and then went out again. Yeah....we're not fixing em. So, we'll have a 2 foot dark spot on the house near the front door until Christmas is over. And that's all there is to it.

I did get a green wreath for the door, but the jingle bell wreath's still not attached. Not sure that's even gonna happen. Not sure I really care.

But, the decorations inside my house have improved tremendously.




I put my garland over the mantle like I always do, BUT this year I decided to put Olivia's 13 lighthouse ornaments in the garland and I really love it! See what ya think. If you don't like it, as usual this isn't up for debate or opinion. Keep it to yourself. That snowman came from Marshall Field's when Carrie worked there. He plays Jingle Bells.


The camera wasn't happy with the lighting so it's a bit blurry but you get the idea.


A known fact about me is that I love snowmen more than I love Santa. I'm in no way offended by Santa or wish to abandon Santa. I love Santa. Santa's been very good to me and the people I know for many years. I just love snowmen more. I have LOTS of snowmen and women and children and only maybe 5 Santas. It's just the way I roll. So I'm posting a few pics of my snow peeps to give you an idea.

This picture below represents the largest snow purchase I've ever made. This is my family of 6 in snow form. This adorable snow family swirls in controversy every year....let me explain. I found these peeps in Dallas at Sample House and knew I must have it the instant I laid eyes on it. There was just one problem, there were only 5 snow people and not 6. I needed 6. Thankfully, they had ornaments that matched the snow people and one could be snuggled right up next to the family which solved my problem magnificently. I think Becky found and fixed the number issue. So the front snow child, which represents Olivia, isn't attached to the rest of the peeps. She's been offended by this since she was 10 years old and at 18, still is. I don't think any amount of common sense discussion will ever change her mind.

Each year as I'm unpacking my Christmas decorations, the snow fam makes it's debut before the box with "Olivia" is found. EVERY year the real Olivia will walk through the den, looking for the snow Olivia and ask "Where am I Mom? I'm not even up there." She then walks away shaking her head. It happens EVERY SINGLE YEAR! She takes no comfort at all. After Christmas each year "Olivia" gets special care by being wrapped in tissue and packed away....but not with the big snow peeps. This also remains a yearly offense because the group snow peeps are "together" and snow Olivia is separated from the others.

BUT, that's not the only controversy involving the snow family. Notice there's a baby snow person, which I find adorable by the way, who represents Owen. He HATES that he's the tiny little snow kid in the big group. EVERY SINGLE YEAR Olivia, who's already offended by her snow status, purposefully and with malice points this out to Owen saying, "Look Owen, you're the baby." He then glares at her and fumes. It's all part of the Herrock family tradition of Christmas. Makes me feel all warm inside.

So you can see "baby" Owen clearly.


There are no controversies involving any of the following snow men or women. They're just completely adorable.


I do have a teeny snowman that's supposed to go with these 3 to represent Owen....have no idea where it is. Shhhh don't tell him. I'm admittedly off my game this Christmas season.


Love it....


Carrie bought this for me many years ago. They are so cute and broken. If you look closely, you can see the cracks from the breakage. John's an excellent gluer of all things broken. He's done his fair share of gluing over 22 years and 4 children.


Although all these snow peeps look like they're in a police lineup, there are no arrest warrants out for any of them and there's not one convicted felon in the bunch. I just gathered some together for a group snow photo op. Off to the left you can see one of my Santas. He's Brazillian (not from the country, it just says it on him somewhere). He was a gift from Billie June.


Grandma/Mom gave these candle holders to us one year when we all went to eat together at Olive Garden right before Christmas. That was lots of fun...we should do it again sometime. There's another Santa in the mix.


The outside of my house is as festive as it's gonna get, except for the dark hole area that won't be going away.


Santa's glowing in my carport. He's forever old...bought from Sears at least 24 years ago.


And although when said it may sound cheesy....it's still true....the reason for the season.


I'm grateful for a warm home with lots of memories and just a few Christmas controversies.

Merry Christmas to all.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's so funny but I think I agree with Olivia you MUST find a box that can hold all the snow fam together. I love both snow and santas but don't think I have nearly as many as you. Maybe cause people KEEP GIVING em to you!

John said...

I love all the snow people and the rest of the decorations.

gnar car said...

green haired snowman.

Anonymous said...

Carlie the green haired snowman that represents you is ADORABLE get over it!!!!!!!