Monday, December 20, 2010

Graduation December 2010

ULM Graduation December 18, 2010 was a huge success. There was pomp. There was circumstance. And, there were Christmas tunes as well! It was a delightful surprise when the orchestra snuck in a few holiday tunes as people filled the coliseum. For our family, it was our first December graduation and a new and great way to almost end the year. The only other December graduation I ever attended was Olivia's when she graduated from kindergarten. She was one of the wise men, named Blinky, she's still not over that one yet.

Some of us, Melanie, Lauren and myself, arrived early to stake out our seats for the much anticipated event and there was hardly anyone there! We got the pick of the place and quickly chose wisely and got a great view of the graduates as they would come off the stage with their prize.


We settled in for a 1 1/2 hour wait and listened to the ULM orchestra tuning up and playing songs. which was delightful.

You will now see the many pictures of us waiting.


Owen needs to work on his picture smiling....along with someone else.


Bill's been working on his picture smile.....he gets the much improved award.


Grad parents


More spectators arrived and joined the waiting.


Randy in the background, Owen and Olivia.


Me and my kiddos.


Mags and Olivia


The lower level spectators...Lydia with her Mom and Dad.


Jared strolling in with the BJ just before the entrance of the graduates. Billie's waving to her many fans....that would be us of course.


More lower level lookers


One of my pics during my snarky camera behavior.


But all the waiting gave me time to run out and find the graduates while THEY were waiting...while we were waiting. Austin's primed and ready to walk in.


Totally walked right by Mollie the first time but finally found her.


Then made it back in time to regain my seat and wait just a bit more. An aerial photo of our peeps. The lady in the brown tried to ruin my photo but I cut her out as best I could.


The main event finally began with the marching in with some big wooden thing on a stick....John tried to convince me it was the torch of knowledge....I did NOT believe him. And if it was a "torch" it should have been lit but then carrying a lighted torch inside a coliseum with thousands of people would be a terrible idea.


All the podium sitters came in wearing all of their paraphernalia...which by the way I love...the flat tam/beret/tassely hats are genius....

I want all of these outfits. THEY ARE SIMPLY FANTASTIC!

Then the graduates came in and took their seats.


The welcomes and the speeches were welcoming and speechy....but still acceptable. The new prez of the university did a good job, but was clearly coached through the whole process since it was his first graduation as president. Not one person tripped and fell which I guess is a good thing; although I have to admit just a tiny little trip would have spiced things up a bit.

There was much whooping and hollering for individual graduates....the kuntry with a k comes out in all parents and family members when diplomas are handed out. My camera got a good shot of Austin ALL THE WAY across the coliseum


but when I tried to take one of him walking down the steps, it got all floopy.


But thanks to the newspaper, they got a great shot of him shaking hands with the president.


But the great thing about having multiple camera takers is the hope that the other photographer may have gotten what you missed. Melanie took this great thumbs up from Austin.


Then it was Mollie's turn.


She made it down the stairs before my camera got snarky again.


Although I find this mistake fascinating.....Mollie's actually in fluid motion in the pic


But then Melanie got this shot.


Over 6oo graduates were there for one thing and one thing only....to bookend their college career wearing a super cool hat and gown and getting that much wanted diploma. The entire event went off without a hitch and each person left with an empty diploma cover....which is standard graduating fair. There were some suma cum laudes and some cum laudes and then there were some I'ma cum to get my degree. Ha ha ha ha ha ha....I just CRACKED MYSELF UP!

And then once again in under 2 hours...which I find amazing....and again, kudos to the admin....it was time to go. Then, I again faced one of the greatest disappointments in my life. They didn't throw their hats! Ugh! So disappointing.


Then it was family photo time. The Walker fam.


The proud parents with the graduate.


The Turner fam and yes Bill even though you aren't blood, you still go with them.


The other proud parents with their graduate.


Austin and Lauren


Walker siblers


Can't miss a photo with Gmaw






















Melanie got these pics




All in all in was a fun filled fantastic day.

Well done Austin and Mollie.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sitting in a waiting room when I read I'm a cum get my degree and I nearly had to excuse myself. That's a good one that I hope I don't forget to use hahahahahaha

CAW said...

I was sitting at lunch with a mouth full of coffee when I read that line... So hilarious