Friday, March 14, 2014

She came to live with us on Valentine's day 1996. John and I heard about a litter of Golden Retriever pups somewhere around Ruston and I told him I wanted to get one for our family. So he and I drove over to see them. All cute. All lovable....and out of the mix we picked her. I don't even remember how many were there to choose from or if she was the last one to take. But she was the one for us. So we devised a plan to surprise our kids on Valentine's and we did. We had her in a kennel in the girls' room and when they found her they squealed with delight. She had a red ribbon around her neck and they were instantly in love. She was the perfect choice for us. 


She and the kids grew up together. They really have no memory in our family without her being here. I remember one day I was in the bathroom drying my hair and I could hear her barking and barking and barking...which made me stop to see what she was barking about. I found her standing at the carport door, so I went outside to see if anything was wrong and there in the front yard was Owen Thomas. He'd decided to venture out alone when I wasn't watching. But she knew. I remember being shocked that she was so determined to get to the boy. I'll never forget that as long as I live. 






Years ago we brought an abandoned sick kitten home from Corsicana, hoping he would live, but he didn't. She was so gentle with him. 

And then when our cat had a litter of kittens and then inexplicably died, she literally nursed them and mothered them. She was a sweetheart. She never had pups but she was a mom to them.

She was there for first days of school.

And picnics in the backyard.


And for pallet parties with her favorite little boy.


For trips to Corsicana.


She loved to be home with her peeps.

And truck rides.

And decorating for Christmas. 

She loved Corsicana when she was young.

Not so much when she was old.

She suffered the indignity of Christmas photos 



She was terrified of loud noises, especially the rocket John and the kids launched in Corsicana. She would come running to the back porch when they launched it, and her reaction made Gran laugh every time. She hated storms and anytime a thunder storm rolled through town she would find me and lay under my feet or run to the bathroom trying to hide. 

I think she tolerated Addy more than they were friends. Addy was the young buck and she was the old guard, too old to be the playmate Addy wanted. 

As the years passed her face turned so white.  

The older she got, the harder life was for her, but I couldn't bring myself to do anything about it. I hoped she would just fall asleep one day and it would be a peaceful end for her. But it wasn't. And then on a Monday night, she left us.

These pictures have reminded me of the good pup she was for us. 

She was always here. 

And now she's not.

And that makes me sad.

17 years.

Well done Rose.

Love you....

4 comments:

gnar car said...

she was such a good pup. the sweetest of them all!!

Anonymous said...

The very sweetest pup! She will be missed!!

Unknown said...

She was so good at her job on earth!!! Agree. Well done!

CAW said...

She was the Nana.... sweet sweet Rose