Thursday, June 1, 2017

Birthday separations and snaps

Today is rainy and full of gloom. OK, that's really dramatic and not even true but it FEELS true. Today is Owen's 22nd birthday and he isn't here to celebrate it with me. I've been present for almost every one of my kid's birthdays. I've missed two of Emma's. It happens when they move away. Even if it's just for the summer. 

At this time on this day 22 years ago, I was just two hours into having four kids. I remember being very happy and satisfied about that. I still am. We had the surprise of our life when Owen was born, because back in the day there was no gender reveal. I had babies when you found out what it was when it came out of the chute. 


As the story goes, Owen had to be brought into the world with ropes and ladders. OK, that's not really true, it was a surgeon and a scalpel. It seemed the big head so full of brains had to have an alternate route. So John and I had to wait to see what the gender our baby was. I was so convinced I was having another girl that when it was finally announced, "It's a boy!" Neither of us believed it. So I asked John, "Really, what is it?' And he said this exact quote, "I think it's a boy." We were both stunned, shocked and thrilled. 


A few days later we took our baby boy home to join our three girls and we made life happen as a family of six. I'm not gonna lie, it was wild and crazy having four kids under the age of six. But in the last 30 years I've had the time of my life with five people I'd choose all over again. 


Today it's a bit melancholy since it's too soon to be used to him not being around. I keep thinking he's in his room, or I have to remind myself he won't be home for supper. Mississippi isn't so far away, but I can't chase my kids all over the country. I feel the tug at my heart about letting go again. For now it's only for a summer, next year it feels like it will be much more than that. I know it's coming and I can't stop it. 
 

Onto some miscellaneous  snaps. 
This is Beba's masterpiece. It has a little of this and a little of that.
What a goober.
Poor Carlie's extra wide sad face. 
Llama llama ling lang. I don't even know...
Anna and the too big bad cupcake visit. 
The congressional office was looking like a MAGA/Louisiana Christmas in DC. 
Looks like a perfect way to spend an afternoon with a toddler. 
Let me explain. One day, as I was going out to get the mail, Addy was being all sneaky. With the door POSSIBLY being open, I went one way, she went the other. I didn't realize she was outside for a long time....or ever. But it was her fault. All of it. 
Perf pair of glasses on Lucas. 
Emma was there! It was cold and rainy and she was behind a tree! But she was there!
You should get one of these. They are davoom. 
This is Jack trapped in a weird pink winter thingy.
This is me. I get the snowman. I do not get the pink thingy. 
This is a happy Melanie. Wait for it...
This is a cranky Carrie wins the day. Cracks me up. 
Mollie wants to be at home. 
Lucas seemed pleased with this snap.
I'm thinking Mollie wanted to be home again, home again, jiggety jig. 
Someone's visiting Anna in her bed. 
Someone's streak was about to end. 
Saying hi to cousins. 
Maybe a little too much makeup for the bank.
Or the nursery. 
These are true words. 
That's a fish face. 
No truer words have ever been spoken. 
A closer up view of the DC tree. 
Caitlin was not amused by this. 
Uh oh, that's a scary bunny that I forgot to put in the eared post from last week. Boo on me. 
Cutie pie Jack with ears. I missed two ears!
That is one cool breeze. 
This one too. 
The cupcake world is intense people. 
She loves all pillows. 
Yep, he was one today. 
It looks that way for sure. 
That face is huge! I can't see the mane for the hugeness of the face. 
Bonjour Mademoiselle! 
Heart.
John and I went out to dinner on our 32nd anniversary. Caitlin called the restaurant and had them bring us a dessert and paid for our supper! It was very smooth. And VERY sweet. 
They spelled her name wrong but they meant well. 
Yes, these are my anni flowers. 
By the time this post is finished, Owen's birthday will be over. I survived another change in my life and the life of my kids. Who knew I could be so grown up? Certainly not me. 

I'm off and out for now. One of these days I'm going to blog about something else. But at this moment I have no idea when or what about. 

For now, peace to all the accords. 

It's gonna be OK people. 

Just slow your roll.

The happiest of birthdays to my one and only son. I'm so grateful for your sweet soul. 

3 comments:

gnar car said...

he is the first birth i remember celebrating and it was so fun! i remember that shade of blue coming out and everyone cheered. so fun! happy birthday, o!

Unknown said...

You should have posted the blue lip pic ������

Mollie_Walker said...

I don't see a reason to change the snap posts! I still thoroughly enjoy seeing all of the old filters and comments πŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌ