Sunday, January 29, 2012

Christmas Morning at my house

On Christmas morning, when my kids were little, I always took photos of them with some of their Christmas bounty. I decided to recreate the moment this year. and it would seem from the smiles on their faces they are happy about the gifts they received, just as in years past. Grown up Christmases at my house yield very few surprises since my kids prefer to have "present approval." And that's fine with me since I don't want buyers' remorse (that would be mine) on Christmas morning. This method leaves shock and awe out of the equation, but no worries, they like what they picked and I bought.

I did pick out at least one surprise for each kid which you'll see they're holding in the pics below. But there's a story for each of the girls' presents. And none of them makes me look good. And FYI that game Owen's holding doesn't say satan on it. It's something else altogether. I would never buy antichrist anything!




Caitlin's surprise present was a pair of pajama pants I found just a few days before Christmas. I'd already purchased pj pants for Emma and Olivia (with their approval) and since I had none for Caitlin, I was determined to find her a pair. Well, due to the lateness of the shopping season, and the fact that most of the good stuff was already gone, my options were limited. So when Olivia and I discovered the only possible pair at Target I was relieved to say the least. Until, we gave the pj pants a closer look and discovered the little animals on the pants were.....Chihuahuas in sweaters with antlers? Dressed reindeer chihuahuas? That's pretty much unheard of. So when we positively confirmed they were indeed chihuahuas in sweaters with reindeer antler pajama pants, Olivia INSISTED we get them. Caitlin was clearly surprised on Christmas morning.


Emma's surprise present was an adorable new set of travel make-up boxes in pink polka dots. I'd made this purchase back in October on our annual girls' trip to Dallas. Becky had Emma's NAME this year and as we were discussing, back in October, what she was gonna get her, I told her she would love a new set of cute travel make-up boxes. So, we went to a store where she bought super cute black and white polka dot make-up boxes with the intent of giving them to Emma. On Christmas morning, when we arrived at Grandma's, Becky asked Emma what gifts she received at our house and Emma quickly told her about her pink and white polka dot make-up boxes. Ummmmm what?!?! When Becky's quizzical eyes rested upon mine and after some discussion, it was then and only then I remembered I bought the pink and white for Caitlin and Olivia, and Becky was to give Emma the black and white. Ohhhhhhhhhhh crap. Totally forgot that whole plot line and COMPLETELY stole her thunder. After all the gift giving ended, the correct colors were distributed to the correct people. But you can't fix stolen thunder. And once again, I apologize.

On to Olivia's "almost" botched gifting by her absent minded mother. So, I guess everyone knows about the Olivia books that have been written in recent years. Well, Billie the June Grandma always gives her granddaughter Olivia the most recent Olivia book. This year I found two new ones, Olivia Claus and Olivia Says Goodnight, so I told the Gmaw about them, and that I had bought Olivia Says Goodnight. Don't know why I didn't buy them both for Grandma. I just didn't. So when I returned to buy Olivia Claus the book for the Grandma to give the real Olivia, of course it was gone. So, Grandma sent Lydia in pursuit of Olivia Claus and when she found it, all was good again. Well, when I began the long arduous task of dragging out all my presents to wrap, I discovered I did in fact buy BOTH books in the first place. I managed to have the good sense not to give the book Olivia Claus to Olivia the daughter on Christmas morning, so as not to steal the Gmaw thunder.

And that's how Christmas morning played out at my house.

It would seem I stay confused a lot.

There's really no other explanation that sounds good.

No comments: