Tuesday, September 13, 2011

I'm so ready to be a football coach...or something

This labor day weekend posting is proving to be quite the challenge because of the number of photos involved. It's exhausting so, I'm putting it off longer and gonna talk about something else.

My eldest daughter Caitlin did get her part time job changed to full time, and so now she's a full time working girl whose shopping for a car and more stuff to buy. We're very excited and proud. In honor of her full time status, we decided to go to the ULM/Grambling football game this past Saturday. It was the first football game I've been to in maybe 12 to 15 years. I'm not a football fan. Well, we got great seats, thanks to the working daughter AND great parking. Kudos on both points.

Since I don't attend football games or tailgating, this was a new experience for me. Some of my peeps did the tailgating thing but I opted out. I have to take it one step at a time. There was a short period of time when I was home by myself that I did actually consider staying home, but after a brief argument with myself, I went anyway. Well I was very surprised when I had lots of fun! ULM was debuting their new jumbo tron as well as a new opening sequence that involved a warhawk and airplanes and suffice to say, it was a HUGE crowd pleaser. ULM won the game played on the field, but Grambling won the battle of the bands for sure. There's hardly anyone who can compete with them. ULM gave it a good effort with their 8 tubas, but compared to Grambling's 20 it was really no competition. Grambling was fantastic.

Well, since it's been a long time since I watched live football, and since I have an attention span of a two year old, I spent lots of time rediscovering what a linebacker did (still don't know), asking John many times because I wasn't paying attention, "What just happened?" And browsing the crowd. While doing all this multitasking, I came up with many suggestions for my working daughter to take to the admin for consideration.

My list follows...

1. The jumbo tron is a clear distraction to the field goal kickers, because all field goals kicked in the direction of the jumbo tron were missed. And even though Jared tried to make the point that all extra points aimed at the jumbo tron were successful, I rebutted his argument with the fact that extra points are much less stressful than field goals. I contend the kickers became mesmerized by their own ginormous selves on screen, lost their concentration and muffed all kicks badly. I believe this to be so as surely as I breathe.

2. Plays that run up the middle are the worst plays ever. After a small sampling of girls, 5 to be exact, I found that all girls hate the plays where they run up the middle into a crowd of bodies. It's a terrible idea.

3. Players need to use bigger footballs for people with failing eyesight. I don't expect this one to be implemented but I'm sayin it's a great idea.

4. I would like the HUGE top part of the ULM stadium to be cut off and sliced down the middle and placed at either end of the field forming a bowl shaped stadium instead of the one sided monstrosity currently in place. As I was discussing this idea with Bill, and with no sarcasm in his voice at all, he stated, "I think that sounds like something they could probably do over a weekend with just a few guys holding it up." Even a boy was receptive to my brilliant idea.

5. Music from the two bands attending as well as the jumbo tron music needs to be coordinated DESPERATELY. Many times all three were playing at the same time. It was not good.

6. I forgot 6 but it was a humdinger.

Another observation, this one about myself was, as I was sitting there holding my free provided to all attendees pom pom , I surprised myself by being quite "cheery." I realized I have an inner cheerleader in me just busting to get out.

The jumbo tron was a huge hit for hams in the stadium and many of our family members in attendance made the big screen with Randy's being the most dramatic by having a weird fading in around his face as the moment of silence was being done.

All in all the entire evening was a pleasant experience and I'd surely do it again. Oh, and if you find yourself at a football game sitting next to Bill, be sure and ask LOTS of questions. Lindsey says he LOVES lots of questions when watching games. I didn't detect one hint of sarcasm in HER voice either.

Update: On her first day back at work after the game on Saturday, I was HUGELY disappointed in discovering that Caitlin gave none of my great ideas or suggestions to her boss. I mean, after just one game in 15ish years, I'm like a football wizard! I could revolutionize the game if just given the chance.

My many gifts are so under appreciated.

Now that I have all that off my chest I'll consider getting back to the labor day pics.

But it's too much! Too much I say!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

He also loves input on the game and what you think the coach should do... ie pull that receiver, call a time out, or a suggestion a play or two...

gnar car said...

hahahah so funny!

COMPLETELY agree about the running up the middle HOWEVER it did work that night. and we scored a TD.

I'm sure it was just a fluke.