Thursday, August 25, 2011

School, cars, bad dogs and Reese's

The whole shebang school year's now efficiently and busily under way! One in high school, two in college, one old job and two new jobs are all in full swing and making life a bit hectic. Juggling 6 people in three cars is once again proving to be a challenge, but for the most part it's working. Last night Caitlin called to inform she was stranded at Carlie's with a non starting car. That's not good. So, John got jumper cables and off we went to get it started. The ridiculous heat's been killing batteries by the dozens for reals, and until last night, we'd dodged the dead battery bullet. Well, John got the car started and as we were coming home, just down the street from our house, I ran over a stick and it got stuck under the car. I thought John saw the whole thing happen, but apparently he didn't and when it IMMEDIATELY sounded as if the engine had just fallen out, John took a page out of the "I'm gonna lose it" handbook and said with tension in his voice, "What is that?!?!" I calmly stated that I'd run over a stick and apparently it was stuck under the car, which prevented a John sized hole in the roof of my car. When we got home, the offending stick was removed, but I could tell that in that one millisecond he'd gone from facing not one but two car crisis' and if so, it would be enough to make him super freak. His super freaking never happened thank the good Lord. If the freaking had happened, I'm certain we'd have ended the night in some sort of freaking "discussion" and it wouldn't have been freaking pretty.

Well, we had to wait til morning to go get a battery because Wal Mart doesn't carry the kind we needed because there's only one kind of battery that works for the girls' car. Today we found another place that carries the rare battery and it costs a whopping $150! Are you kidding? No, I'm not. We ended up having to order it and it won't be in til Thursday morning and so with us down one car, this is how today went. At 11:30 I took Owen's lunch to him, then I took Olivia to school to purchase a 3 million dollar book for her French class. Oh contrar. Oui. Oui. Then we came home. She had to go back to school for a 2:00 class, but Emma had to be picked up at 2:30. So, back home I came to get ready to go to work and then went back to get Emma and then Emma and I picked Owen up from school and then the two of them dropped me off at work and then they had to go get Olivia from school. My fingers are out of breath. Sometime tomorrow we'll be back to three cars and it'll be back to semi normal, welllll not sure about normal, but semi something. Car trouble is awful.

As I stated earlier, college began on Monday and Olivia's taking a Math class from a lady she's had before. Olivia's now witnessed this following phenom twice since she's had the lady twice. At the beginning of the class, the teacher asked for each student to state their last name and the name each one wanted to be called by. So, the kids called themselves out, the teach followed along saying their names and so on and so on. At the end of the class, and with no cheat sheets, the teach said, OK let's go over your names." She then proceeded to rename each of the 40ish students CORRECTLY from her memory. Olivia was impressed for the second time in her life. I asked her if the class gave the teacher a round of applause and sadly she said they did not. I was so impressed by this, because I'm not a good memory person. Kudos to the lady wherever she is.

This evening I had to come in and immediately help Owen with a paper for English class and don't judge me but I decided to treat myself to about 10 mini frozen Reese's cups and as I sat in my chair and balanced the last three on the arm of the chair, something happened. I noticed Addy'd been watching me quite closely and just as I began concentrating on Owen's paper, she swooped in and ate one of my Reese's cups! As she licked her lips in victory, I could tell she wasn't ashamed AT ALL. She needs a good reform school.

For supper we decided, because Emma's been complaining about having cold food all summer long, to have tortilla soup so we turned the air down to snow and still sweated as we ate super hot but yummy soup for the first time since last winter. We need some emergency cool weather ASAP.

And with all of that being said, that my friends has been the last three days in a nutshell.

Time for beddy bye bye.

1 comment:

gnar car said...

my teacher did that whole 'memorize the student's names on the first day' too! and the most impressive part is that he was like 10000 billion years old! okay, more like 70. but still uber impressive.