Tuesday, October 11, 2016

It was museum day in DC

I started this post last week on Monday, and now it's Tuesday of the next week. I just had to change the day again. That keeps happening. Monday keeps showing up once a week and before I've finished something, it's Tuesday. I don't know what to do about it.

Also the temps are currently are all over the map and it's really annoying on October 11th. COME ON COOL WEATHER. Get it together! Update: It's now 83 degrees but inching up as the week progresses. Grrrr... 

I'm currently bored out of my skull at this moment and it's pretty much the only reason I'm blogging. And while I'm trying to light the fire for blogging, it's barely a flicker. I don't know how to keep up my enthusiasm or interest. This one is happening out of sheer boredom. SHEER. 

In order to try to alleviate my boredom, I'm going back to June and our first day in DC. 


Day 2 of our DC trip found me getting in the car with a stranger, because that's what Uber is all about. Years of teaching and preaching about not getting in a car with a stranger. Boom it's a business. 

Because DC despises cars, we had to leave ours at home and Uber our way to the mall and the museums. 
Uber man driver.
Uber riders.
My museum of choice was American History, John and Owen's was the Natural History Museum and Caitlin and Olivia wanted to see the National Gallery of Art. Both of their choices were a no for me. We all know how I feel about museums, especially Andy Warhol's, but the American History Museum is a whole other animal. It has amazing things to see....George Washington's anything.....Abraham Lincoln's stovepipe hat he was wearing when he was killed. Other stuff too. I can't imagine my listing things would be very exciting, but I did take pics so lets go see what I saw and maybe you won't be bored by it.
A piece of Plymouth rock. That's amazing. 
A Babe Ruth signed baseball. Mind blown. 
Muskets and long rifles from the 1700's. I can't imagine trying to fight a war using these weapons. 
Somebody's old clothes.
They belong to this guy.
This is George Washington's uniform. This is such a big deal to me. I finally found the museum that means something to me. There were no silk screened Campbell's soup cans in extra large ANYWHERE. 
Hopefully you can read this about George's uniform.
George's camp seat. George Washington sat there.
I'm gonna keep on going because I love this stuff. 
Battle of the Bulge clothes. Those guys were tough as nails and deserve the utmost respect forever. 
These are the chairs Ulysses Grant and Robert E. Lee sat in at Appomattox courthouse. 
History making chairs.
General George Schawarkopf army clothes. Maybe not as cool as the first George, but still cool.
George Washington's sword.
George kept Constitutional Convention papers in this box.
Abraham Lincoln's hat he was wearing at Ford Theater.
Edith Wilson's evening dress that I love. 
This is somebody's purse I like in the first lady exhibit. Sadly, I didn't take a pic of the sign telling me the pertinent information. Update: It's Mamie Eisenhower's evening bag. 
Love this flapper dress worn by....gotta go look it up...Grace Coolidge. The red in the background is Mamie Eisenhower and the red purse is on the other side of the dress.
Mary Todd Lincoln's velvet dress. A little heavy for my taste.
Laura Bush.
Christmas trees in the wild.
This is what I saw of the Natural History museum and I was OK with that.
After we completed our respective museum tours, we met Emma after work and strolled down to the White House to take a selfie.

Or two.
Jesus save our nation please. I'm begging. 
The Eisenhower Executive Office Building, where the vice president's office is. 
The treasury department, which is right next to the White House. Gotta keep that money close.
After our peek at the White House, we walked to our supper venue which ended in disaster. Old Ebbit Grill is an old standby in DC. Carrie, Emma and I went last February and enjoyed it immensely. The six of us were looking forward to an enjoyable dinner, but it was not to be. Olivia began to feel unwell (before she ate, it wasn't food poisoning) and therefore couldn't eat, John's food was not good....and that's saying a lot. I went off task and ordered something different (always a bad idea for me) and I didn't like it and the bill was enormous. So it was a bust. The night before we had eaten We The Pizza on the street and it was 100 times better. Just goes to show that more money doesn't always buy the better meal.

And that was our second day in DC. 

Yesterday I was talking to Emma, who is still in DC as she was getting ready for a brunch date and she said about her outfit, "I feel like I look like a 35 year old Mom whose husband is at the law firm and I have errands to run before getting back home to make sure the maid cooks supper." I laughed a lot. And notice the maid is gonna cook supper. I enjoy that girl so much. 

It's now Tuesday afternoon at 2:00 and I've folded clothes, made pumpkin bread (last night) and now I have to find something else to do. Not having a job is good and bad. So much boredom to deal with. 

In the meantime I'm working on other posts and I'll be as diligent as someone who has a motivation problem can be.

As Tigger says with glee TTFN...ta ta for now.

I'll close with this beautiful addition to the family...
It never gets better than this. 

No comments: