Friday, July 31, 2015

If I knew then what I know now

I wouldn't have accidentally deleted this post or may not have done the redo on the den paneling in our house. 

Ugh to both. 

I sat here in stunned silence when I realized I'd deleted the almost completed post. But sometimes, there's no going back when I've screwed it up. Ugh again. So, I walked away and took some time to reflect. That's not all true, but I did walk away.  

As I said in the deleted post, that's now this post, this reno of our den paneling was a hot mess. The process was terrible and there was dust on top of dust on top of more dust. As I sit here, I can hear the dust settling and it will just be a matter of hours until I see a layer of it on all things. I'm not quite to the point of thinking it was worth it. Yet. And I still have a small amount in the kitchen to do.

Update: Since I rewrote this earlier, the kitchen has been spackled, now it must be sanded. I can't even face it. That happens tomorrow. 

For now, here's the process from start to finish in the den. We still have more to do, but we are closer today than last weekend. Sing hallelujah and praise the Lord. 
I don't know what I was thinking with some of these colors. 
All of these borrowed testers were not good.
This striped effect never grew on me.
And sadly the floor can't be changed any time soon. 
Finally decided on this light gray for the color.
It's very pale, but that's what I wanted. 
Last Saturday the final push began to get the sanding completed.
It was a full day of working. 
Trying to shield as much as we could. 
The dusty pepper showed it worked a little. Trying to move this picture earlier is what caused me to accidentally delete my post. Jerk. 
After seeing the dusty pepper, more sheeting was put in place.
Caitlin came in to show her support.......not.
We could do the science experiments on the Declaration of Independence like in National Treasure. We just need lemons and the Declaration of Indy.
This is even with doors closed.
Addy couldn't sneak anywhere.
She hasn't been supportive of the house reno. It's very disturbing to her. 
You can see the pile of dust on the floor up against the wall.
John was covered. 
I wore a super cool shower cap to at least protect my hair, but made sure no pictures were taken.
Primer.
Final color.
This is how the process ended up going. Put joint compound into the grooves to level them with the wall. Then the joint compound shrunk into the grooves. Put more compound in the grooves. Sand the grooves. Paint the wall. Put more joint compound in the grooves. Paint primer on the wall, touch up with more spackle and then sand the touch ups, then the final two coats of paint. It felt like it would never end. Mrs. June always says, "You'll know how to do it when you're finished." 

But I vow to never do it again. It was the worst. 

And now I'm going to watch more Friday Night Lights. 

And dream that dust has forever been eradicated....

At least until tomorrow.

Don't anyone ever name a child Dusty.

I will not like it.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That's a classic Mrs. June saying and so true!! It's looking great!!

Anonymous said...

The worst is over for now!! It is looking so good!!!

Emma said...

It's been quite the adventure! haha