Wednesday, July 15, 2015

All I wanted was clean ceilings

I've been back from Texas since last Wednesday, and while I can't remember anything I've been doing, I've been extremely busy. The couch has been exhausting. I got a wild hair and did purchase a new hall door to replace the old one and after a few trips to Home Depot, it's successfully installed by the newly dubbed, "Cranky Carpenter." That would be John.
Also, I'm happy to report that after three weeks and multi trips to the lumber store, he finished the crown molding and it looks as fab as I knew it would. There was an incident Olivia witnessed as she described his frustration during the process. One afternoon as he was working on the molding, he got so frustrated with a mistake, she watched as he walked through the den, opened the carport door, and slammed a wrongly cut piece of molding on the ground. He then calmly walked to his chair and sat down. The whole thing was a frustrating process. Cutting backwards and upside down is not an easy task, but I knew he would win in the end. Unfortunately I fear the living room, still lacking in crown molding, will never be molded. 

Here's an update on our improving home and some current issues. The trim paint for the crown molding I bought looks grayish. When I purchased the paint at Home Depot, they told me they had to add black paint to my white trim paint in order to make it the best it could ever be. It's Behr paint and that's what the Behr people told them to do. Well, they are stupid. White paint + black paint will equal gray paint. SO, I went back to Home Depot tonight and had a discussion with them about the stupidity....I was very calm....and I left without any satisfaction. Jerks. Tomorrow I'm gonna call Behr directly and tell them that white paint + black paint equals gray paint and they are stupid. I'm gonna be very calm. I hate their paint and will be going to Sherwin Williams instead. I'm still annoyed. I said so cause I knew you couldn't tell.

In other improvement problems...the color I chose for the walls in the den is no longer happening. I hate it. And the wall texture is gross. I'm worried. I'm not sure what to do next. And this is why I hate home improvement. All I wanted was non dingy, non dust bunny ceilings, but that one decision led to painting, a new door, retexturing my den walls and dust everywhere. And I'm not kidding. 

Now I must return to painting my bathroom since the popcorn removal affected the paint in there. I mixed my own paint for that and when Emma saw me doing it she yelled for Olivia to "monitor" me this afternoon and called me Lucy when she left. Ridiculous. I only started 100 projects, completing some of them.
Summing up the projects:
Popcorn ceiling removal and repair...done.
Busted out tile in the back shower...not done.
New door install...done.
Painted bathroom...done.
Painting den...not done.

See? More done than not. But the house is wreckish. Don't think that's a word cause spell check don't like it. 

Summing up, there is much left to do and I have 33 days til school starts. Wasn't it yesterday I was whooping it up cause school was over for the summer? Man alive the summer is flying by my face. 
  
So I'm finishing up with a teaser...we had a fun July 4th in Texas with the weather being cool and breezy and hot and windy and just a small amount of rain. It was pretty great. We missed some faces, even though the house was at load limit. 


I'll close with a few pictures of the trip.

These first few may need a little explanation. SO. Olivia and I went to Atwoods...I forget for what....and we ran across American and Texas flags. Well, we both felt they were must haves so she bought the Texas flag and I bought the American one. The purchase opened a whole door and conversation about flag etiquette and decorum and where to hang them and....it's a big deal people. 

The great thing about Texas is it can get very windy and that's fab for flag flying. They wave quite nicely in a good wind. Carrie was arriving at the farm just as we were coming down the road with our flags flying proudly out of my sunroof (this may or may not have been staged) then we got down to the task of where they were gonna be hung. We made some good decisions. The American flag came home with me, but now the Texas flag can fly when we are there. It was all very exciting. 

Call me nerd, I will answer. 
I think Olivia will answer as well.
The American flag is to fly higher than any other flag hung with it.
I want this horse so bad.
William looks like a little Texas boy by the Texas flag.
James looks all Hollywood. 
What? I look fabulous! 
There's always a walk to be had down a country dirt road.
That's it for now. I hope to be back soon. It's my plan anyway. 

It's 2:32 and I'm so tired. 

I know my bed has missed me.

I will now go find it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It always begins so innocently and then snowballs but you will be so happy when you get it all done!!! Look forward to more 4th pics!!

Mrs. Ford said...

Agreed, Melanie! What started as simple siding removal from our back porch turned into replacing all 9 posts, including drilling into the concrete. 2 months and many grumbles later, the porch is ever-so-lovely. Hang in there!