Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Yesterday plus the October Corsicana trip from 2013

The next wave of travelers will be leaving tomorrow for Texas, so new posts won't be happening til next week. 

Yesterday started off good and then turned to a cluster after lunch real quick as Olivia was leaving to go sit with William and then came back in to announce Caitlin's car wouldn't start. Luckily Owen was home, during the day that's a rare occurrence. So Caitlin's car was blocking the red truck. She couldn't take my car in case she was late coming back home, we couldn't find any of our jumper cables, so we quickly decided to go get Emma's car so Olivia could get to the Swanders. That problem was fixed. Back home, Owen and I set to the task of trying to get a car in the right spot to jump the dead car. After a facetime call to John we found the cables and set to work. And while jumping a car off isn't difficult, it's not in my job description and always makes me nervous. I can just imagine doing it wrong and then the car exploding and there's just no hiding an exploding car. "How DID the car explode?" "I don't know I put the cables on exactly correctly maybe probably." SO, Owen and I were confirming colors and positivity and all that crap....Caitlin's car has no colors...red and black....friend of jack....wait a minute, that's a whole other thing....anyway. At one point as we were confirming what goes to what, John was sitting at his desk at work shaking his head as if to show disgust with our uncertainly and I was all like, "Don't be shaking your head at me!" And he said, "You saw that?" Ummm yeah dufus, I may not be able to jump a car without a confirming call, but I DO know how facetime works. I.E. FACETIME! I CAN. SEE. YOUR. FACE. Duh, duh, duh. If only it was reach through the screen and GRAB YOUR facetime. If. Only. SO, we got the car started and were going to ride in the car a bit to charge up the battery and then we see there's NO gas and now we have a dilemma. If we drive the car too much, we may run out of gas. BUT, if we go get gas and turn the car off, it may not start again. OMG Caitlin! Did I mention I was doing all this barefooted? I was about to leave home to drive the car barefooted and I said to Owen, I've got to  have some shoes." To which he replied, You'll be fine." And I said, "If we run out of gas, I'll look like country Ethel." So, after shoes were retrieved, I'm happy to report we got gas successfully, the car restarted successfully  and we returned home. Successfully. 

I asked Owen how he learned to jump a car off and he told me years ago when he was leaving the house he asked John, "Do you have any advice for me before I leave?" And my dear husband, who loves to impart wisdom to his children, said, "Red to positive, black to negative." And that's how his father taught him to jump a car. I have GOT to invent "reach through the phone and grab your face so I can twist your nose til it makes your eyes water time." It's FIRST on my to do list. Women would flock to it. 

Before I leave for the weekend, I'm posting another trip journal from Corsicana from last year.      

October 9, 2013

Lisa, John, Addy and Olivia arrived this evening. It was a very smooth ride but Addy got whiney somewhere around Tyler so we stopped on the side of the highway to let her go to the bathroom. After smelling and finding a trail of a scent and attempting to follow it, we decided that Addy could hold it. Stopping once after that for ice cream we made it to the farm well after dark but everything was in order. The weather is supposed to be very nice this weekend and it was nice on this evening so it has started off to be a positive trip. Lisa and Olivia went on a ride and saw a jack rabbit but nothing else of interest. Not much else to add so we'll leave it here. 

Tomorrow beckons. 
It's always good when the morning begins like this.
You may or may not remember this writing that I included with our May Corsicana trip. About Addy and the country dog walk? Anyway, it's back. 
October 10, 2013
(Olivia writing) The weather was fantastic today. Carrie and Emma arrived today. Carrie in the morning and Emma in the evening. Lisa mowed per usual. John did other things and Carrie and Olivia sat on the porch and did other things as well. We went on a ride at some point. It was a rather uneventful day. Olivia learned later in the day that Addy had gone on an adventure earlier that morning before Olivia was awake. Apparently while John was working on the lawn mower, and Lisa was doing something of equal importance I'm sure, Addy decided it was time for a morning walk up the gravel road to say hello to the goats. No one can say exactly how far she got, but by the time John saw her, she was just less than half way down the road on her way back! It must have been a long time of no supervision if the dog decided she better head back to the house. From this point on Olivia kept a much closer eye on Addy and the parents. We went on a night ride and tested out a new Q beam that worked pretty well for $25. 


We didn't see any animals though so that's a bummer. Actually we saw a regular rabbit so that's technically something. It's supposed to be slightly warmer tomorrow, lets hope it isn't

October 11, 2013

Today the girls went downtown to shop at some places. It was all very exciting. After shopping we got some food and then went home. After everyone ate we all sat around for a bit then Emma and Olivia went to Atwood's while all the adults were sleeping. In the afternoon we went to gather some firewood and within a matter of seconds Lisa and John had both hit themselves in the face with tree limbs. It was hilarious. (No one was seriously injured but it was funny even before we confirmed that.) We went on our usual Braum's trip, lit the fire and went for a ride. On the ride we saw a lot of cats, a skunk, some jack rabbits (Olivia saw 2 but didn't mention it because they had already run away and she didn't want to stop the car) and no other animals of interest. It was warmer today but not terrible, it's supposed to rain tomorrow though and that's isn't ideal.  
This picture of Buster makes my heart hurt. 
October 12, 2013

Today we woke up and thought it was going to be rainy, but it wasn't. That only lasted for a couple of hours though. 
Sadness happens when it rains.
Some of us watched some of the Texas OU game and some of us ran some errands. 
And then the sunset was epic.





After the rain was over we thought we wouldn't build a fire but then we decided we would so we went to gather some firewood. It was kind of chilly tonight so the fire was an excellent decision. 

Molten lava. Not really, but it looks like it. 
After a bit we got Braum's and went on another night ride and we saw deer! We also saw a opossum and some jack rabbits but the deer were most exciting. Tomorrow we leave. So sad. 


October 13, 2013

It's overcast and supposed to rain so it's really a perfect day for leaving. Emma left earlier because she just had to get home to shower first and the rest of us are leaving soon. It was a lovely trip and much too short. 

Until next time! 
Lisa, John, Emma, Olivia, Carrie and Addy 

P.S.
With less people it seems like less things happen but still very fun!

Back to now....
This wasn't discussed in the journal entry, but when we arrived at the farm we discovered this heavy equipment in the big pasture. It was for pipeline removal, which we have in the big pasture. It seems you "Don't mess with Texas" unless Texas wants to mess with you and your property rights. Imminent domain allows them to come ONTO our property and put whatever they want to put in it. Another good example where twist your nose facetime would be helpful. 

This picture is awkward but necessary to the storyline.
It was a HUGE marring of the landscape during our trip. 
I've known of this picture's existence for one whole year and every time I ask Emma's permish to use it, she denies. I consider the statute of limitations up on the asking because......come on.
The brown cow is such a jerk. 
Ugh. Miss you Buster.
Then Olivia did a photo shoot with Addy.

Cute girl with her dog.

Prissy and bored of it all.
Seemingly above it all with a snooty attitude. 
Then a wild hair struck her.
And she went gopher hunting. 
And that's it for this old trip as well as the blogging til next week. I have a new vigor for blogging at the moment. Who knows how long it will last.

I have much to do before I leave town tomorrow afternoon, and I've successfully put it off as long as I could. Well done me. But now I really have to concentrate on putting it off til it's almost too late. That's when the adrenaline will kick in and I'll get motivated. It's a process I've perfected over the years. Pretty proud of it. 

Here's to a four day work week for me! 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi

Unknown said...

Lindsey, is helpful. Thank you Lindsey.