Monday, October 6, 2014

Our afternoon after the bridal shower

I saved this post about our afternoon after the bridal shower in Baton Rouge for when I'd completed all the wedding posts. What we did happened on a whim and because it didn't fit in the wedding theme, I wanted to post it later. And now it's later. 

When the five of us set off that afternoon we were just going to do some touring of the city before we had to be back to get ready for the rehearsal supper. And I don't know when, if ever, I've been in Baton Rouge with all my sisters and my mom at the same time. First we went to the plantation to see where the wedding was going to happen and to do a dry run for the next evening and make sure we knew where we were going. We discovered it to be a beautiful setting. 
So pretty. 

After we left the plantation, we decided to do a drive through of the LSU campus and see the sights. Once on the campus we saw some familiar places and then found our way to the LSU School of Law where Frank earned his law degree after graduating from La. Tech. 

Imposing looking building. 
I know he loved the view from the law center building. 
That's me walking up. I always count steps when I walk them. Don't know why. Also I look pretty good from this distance. BUT. REMEMBER. Things may appear smaller when viewed from a great distance. That's absolutely what's going on here. 
Mom knew that Frank's name was on a plaque in the building as a winner of the school's moot court competition. So we decided to see if we could get inside and find it. According to Mom when Frank was in school there....the moot court competition he was in was like a tournament within the school where teams of students competed against each other until the final round. Each team was assigned a case they had to write briefs for and present their case as if they were in court in front of judges. As teams did this and won, they kept moving through the competition until there were only two teams left. Those two teams then had the privilege of presenting the opposing sides of the case before the Louisiana Supreme Court in New Orleans. I remember going to New Orleans with Mom to watch Frank and his fellow students at the Supreme Court. I remember sitting in the courtroom and listening to them present the evidence. Even though I was only 16, I knew it was an honor to watch him at his future craft. And after they made their cases before the justices, I absolutely do remember the Supreme Court Justice say, "We rule for the plaintiff." And I knew Frank's team was the plaintiff and therefore he and his teammate, Mark Jolissaint, had won! And I remember the two of them having to contain themselves when they were chosen as the winners. They were so excited! And we were so excited for them! 
The building was open and we found the plaque in the lobby. 

And there his name was amongst the honored students. 
It was a bittersweet afternoon as we viewed the place where he worked as a student and spent so many hours preparing for his profession in life. We didn't intend it, but turns out we spent the afternoon remembering Frank's impressive accomplishment. I can just imagine how proud Mom and Dad were of their LSU law student, only one of four, appearing before the Louisiana Supreme Court in 1975. What an amazing achievement. 

He was impressively smart and funny and wonderful. 

We're still so proud of you

Freaking A well done junior butt.

How has it been so long since I've seen your face?

Wish you were here....

1 comment:

Mollie_Walker said...

Posts like this make me feel like I seriously missed out. I only have a hand full of Frank memories that are mine... Most of what I know is from y'all's memories of him. And that makes me sad.