Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Olivia's sneeze that caused a storm

Each time the Moms go on a girls' trip to Dallas, all the people who stay home have as full a weekend as possible. They have taco parties and chicken gumbo eating parties and sleep overs....as well as other stuff they probably keep under wraps. Well, when we went in November, and even though they are almost full grown ups, it was business as usual for them. And even though Emma couldn't spend the night at Maggie's, Olivia did, and boy did she have a story to tell. I always enjoy Olivia's emails. She is one of our group email peeps that rarely comments when we get in an email frenzy, but when she finally chimes in, it's usually hilarious. And the following email does not disappoint. Her sleep at the Turners was quite eventful and she told the story to Caitlin first, and then she shared it with the whole class. It all began with a sneeze.

Her explanation starts here.... 


The following is an email I wrote to Caitlin last night after the unthinkable happened. Enjoy.

So I'm staying in Austin's room at the Turners and I was looking at my phone (catching up on the ole word) when suddenly I felt a sneeze coming on. I tried to suppress it, but it eventually won. I'm on the side of the bed closest to the window (obviously, because it's furthest from the door, and an intruder or murderer). So I turn my head and sneeze, but I sneeze toward the window. At that very moment the house alarm goes off. Immediately I know that it was my sneeze. I have to decide what to do now. Obviously I set the alarm off with a sneeze, but do I really want to own that? So I choose to lay low. Maybe they'll figure some other reason out. I immediately duck under my blankets to pretend to be asleep, which is ridiculous because me and Maggie had only gone to bed 10 minutes before. The alarm is going off for what feels like an eternity, but was probably less than a minute, when my door opens and it's Randy looking in the room. I'm not sure if he knows I'm staying here. So I poke my head out and he leaves. I've made the decision to never say anything about it and hope it just blows over as if it were nothing and we can all laugh about that random time the alarm went off. Then Maggie opens my door, so I sit up and she says, "You still alive?" And I laugh and say, "What the H?" She laughs and walks down the hall then comes back and says, "It says bedroom one glass break. Did you hear anything?" Dang it. So much for that blowing over plan. So I say, "No, all I did was sneeze, but I don't think I sneezed THAT loud." She laughs and says, "We just won't tell Dad." Then Randy comes by and says, "Did you hear anything?" Maggie and I both say something about me sneezing and he says, "That would just be crazy if that was it." And I said, "I don't think I sneeze THAT loud!" (It was my only phrase of defense). And he says, "Well sneeze into your blankets next time." In a joking manner.

So, what we've learned is that house alarms are sensitive to sneezes and the house alarm technology is good enough to "out you" when you think you can keep something under wraps. So now it's 2:53 am and I have to pee but I'm not making a sound until the morning.

Morning update: Randy still can't believe my sneeze set the alarm off. BUT he thinks I sneezed in my sleep which I'm totally just going with. 


Alarm sounding sleep sneezes. 

They happen.

And there you have it. The sneeze heard round the world, or at least at the Turners house. Olivia's conundrums never disappoint. This one was a classic.

I'm out peeps. 

God bless us everyone. 

Best line in a book or movie.....EVER.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahahahahaahahahaa so good!!!! I love the pic of Willie D LOVE IT!!!!!

Becky said...

Made me laugh out loud-again! So very funny. And yes, love the pic of Willie D in the lights. Love!!