Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Duke Chapel

The most impressive thing to see on the entire trip was the Duke chapel located on the campus. I looked up a little information about it tonight and this is what I found out from the website.

The Chapel was the first building planned for the new campus, but the last one to be completed. Construction started in 1930, was completed in 1935, and cost nearly $2.3 million. The Chapel began to be used before its stained-glass windows and other details were finished; commencement was held in the Chapel in 1932. Although the Chapel was inspired by other buildings, including English cathedrals and the chapels of other American universities, it is not a copy of any other specific building.

I also found out that the bells ring every day at 5:00. I'm very sad I missed it because I'm certain it's fantastic. I love a ringing church bell so very much.

We had no idea the chapel was open but quickly made our way inside when we saw other people coming and going. It's quite the sight to behold indeed.


Caitlin looks uncertain about entering the Lord's house but she did eventually venture inside.


The stained glass windows are beautiful and the Christmas decorations were still up and looking lovely.




I've never been inside any church with such an impressive magnitude. Everything was amazing and huge and unforgettable. It's so very different from my church and that in itself is interesting to me. My church is so informal. It's one of the things I love about it. This church made me think about wearing formal clothes and sitting up straight and behaving like I was supposed to in the Catholic church. Notice I said "supposed to." I'd love to sit in a service in this church with a pipe organ and all the formality that would go along with it. It would be an unforgettable experience.




Everywhere we looked there was something beautiful to see.


This picture was taken in the crypt.


And another.


Although I'm in no way afraid of or weirder out by dead people, I found this aspect of the chapel to be a little freaky. Caitlin didn't believe there were dead people in these sarcophagi but I looked it up and indeed there are.

This is what I found out. The Memorial Chapel is located off the south transept. In it are the tombs of the University’s founder and chief benefactors, James B. Duke, his father Washington, and his brother Benjamin. Their likenesses are carved on the tops of Carrara marble sarcophagi. Placement of the sarcophagi in the Chapel is in keeping with the character of a Gothic church.

It weirded me out

Not sure if dead people are under these plaques but it's entirely possible.


Beautiful wood carvings were everywhere.








The nativity scene.


Emma G






This pipe organ has to be amazing when it's played. I'd love to hear it in person.




It was fantastic to see.