Monday, January 10, 2011

An afternoon in Durham

While Melanie and Carlie were at the UNC basketball game, the rest of us had many hours to kill. Five to be exact. So we went to a little place called The Duck Shop where I've placed many an order for Duke paraphernalia.


The girls probably could have spent most of the afternoon shopping there, but just how many Duke shirts, sweatshirts and blue hair does anyone really need?


After we left The Duck Shop we headed to the Duke college bookstore so they could browse for blue stuff there as well. We arrived at the store before it opened so we rode around the campus looking for stuff we'd not yet seen, and found the following old beautiful buildings. All these places are lovely but I know nothing about any of them.


No idea


None


This either


Uh uh


Okay finally we have some info. In the first place, this statue cracks me up. Who decided this was a good idea? Washington Duke just hanging out in an arm chair on the campus? It's a little freaky to me.

This is what I found out about the man in the chair.

Washington Duke used his influence to have Trinity College moved to Durham. The institution opened its new campus in 1892 with him and son Benjamin as its principal benefactors. In 1896, Duke gifted the college with $100,000 on the condition that it open its doors to women. Trinity College was renamed in honor of Duke in 1924, becoming Duke University. Washington Duke was interred in Memorial Chapel in the Duke University Chapel on the campus of Duke University. He is memorialized by a statue at the entrance to Duke's East Campus.

Now back to pretty places I know nothing about.


Nope, nope nope...I got nothing.


After we finally made it to the bookstore and the girls finished shopping for Duke clothing....again....Caitlin looked for a fun local place for us to go eat. She discovered Foster's Grocery, a cute little deli/grocery store that served sandwiches and yummy cakes and pies. We ordered deli style and were delighted with the atmosphere, food and sugary confections. All in all it was a fantastic dining experience and if we ever find ourselves in that neck of the woods again, we'll definitely be going back to Foster's.


Now while we were in North Carolina, we kept seeing two places that I became obsessed with. One was a chicken place called Bojangles and the other was Biscuitville. We didn't have time to eat at either but I wanted to! I decided people might not believe Biscuitville actually existed so here's proof that it does. I wish we could have gotten Biscuitville biscuits. I'm convinced they would have gotten an A+ from me. I'm sure this place rocks! How could it not with a name like Biscutiville?


The girls and I had a lovely afternoon lunching and exploring the area, then it was time to drop them off at their game and go get Melanie and Carlie. While the drop off went smoothly, I got ridiculously lost as I made my way towards Chapel Hill. Using a google machine while driving in the dark is not easy AT ALL. After 30 minutes of searching, I did eventually find them, and although Carlie was on cloud 9, Melanie wasn't feeling so good. We took her back to the hotel to rest and Carlie and I spent the evening roaming around UNC enjoying the sights of the campus. Because most of the time I spent near UNC was at night, and driving, I wasn't able to take many pictures of the area, but it's really beautiful and historic. I'd love to see more places like it.

Melanie took this photo of the gazebo where the well is.


So sad not to have more photos of UNC.


I still have so many places in the U.S. I need to visit!

I need to get busier traveling.

Next up, the Duke game and then headed home.
For those tired of these posts, it's almost over!!

1 comment:

Emma said...

I miss North Carolina SO MUCH!!! Also, I'm loving the new picture at the top of the page. It's very lovely and foggy.