Monday, March 2, 2015

Our wonderful snow day

Been working on this for days and now it's finished. Hallelujah!

Last Wednesday morning began with the usual broken heart for any people who reside in Northeast Louisiana hoping the snowy weather forecast was correct. In anticipation of the "white out" we were expecting, businesses and schools had closed all over town. And when we went to bed Tuesday night, we were sleeping with the dream of snow covered yards when we awoke. So first thing the next morning, I peaked out my window with the same hope and anticipation school children have. Crestfallen comes to my mind when I think back on the moment. It was raining. And I was sad. This same scenario has happened so many times before. And the day seemed ruined.

The forecast had called for the snow to begin around 4:00am. At 10, the rain was still coming down hard and all hope was lost. I was in the den at my computer and considering writing a VERY sternly worded letter to weathermen and women everywhere. But then I got distracted by the Internet. As I was perusing Fox news and People.com, I kept an occasional eye on the backdoor, but the yard was filling up with water...not a flake in sight. But then by 11:00 everything happened. In an instant everything changed, and I saw it all. The rain almost instantly changed to sleet. It was crazy how one second it was rain and the next it was ice and shortly after that it changed again to huge flakey snow. Wonderful huge flakey snow! Suddenly the day was made. I awoke sleeping people in the house and there began our fun filled snow day. It was quite glorious. 

Lets have a look... 


William's first ever snow sighting. 
 Was very exciting.
Needed a little warmth by the fire.
Then back outside for documentation with James in tow. 
Super cute pic.
It was hard to choose between these pictures. 
So I didn't. 
Look at that blizzard. 
Look at all that snow we got! I'm still shocked after all the rain that fell. 
Meanwhile at our house....Addy had to be coaxed inside occasionally. She was happy as a clam. That's a big flake in front of her eye. 
Didn't take many pictures and was a little disappointed with the ones I did. 
I made my people take a quick snow pic. 
We were about to go riding to see the sights. 
Gotta have a house in the snow picture. 
A quick artistic shot. Eh, it's OK. 
Same here.

While we were riding about, the Swanders were home building a snowman. How freaking cute is that kid on the right? 
Totally successful build of a snowman, with pickle eyes and an orange slice mouth. 
Then we went to the levee and Caitlin and Olivia opted to go for a walk instead of sledding. 
That's them in the blizzard. 
One more.
That's Owen redneck sledding with his friends.
Emma joined in with them. Some examples of redneck sledding: Inner-tube float typically used in the ocean, plastic sheeting, rubbermaid storage buckets, and one....no kidding....insert from a hot tub. Saw it with my own eyes. 
 We left the levee and eventually went back to the levee so William could get his first sledding experience. Actually many people's first sledding experience. Lets see how they did.

That's Caitlin, WIlliam, Lindsey, Olivia and Emma.
Getting ready to give it a try. 
The sequence didn't come out very good, but they did get to the bottom of the hill.  
Walking up the levee over and over got a little exhausting for the boy. 
So he got a little help... 
Trudging up...
And up...
And up...
Then he finally hitched a ride.
Then a group sledding experience. I have this in Christmas ornament form, minus the plastic sheeting of course.
One last ride...
With Beba.
James drove himself to the venue.
While others were sledding...
He was large and in charge. 
And before we knew it, it was getting dark and people were cold and wet and tired. So we headed home to thaw out and reflect. OK, we did thaw out, but we really didn't reflect. But what started out as a very disappointing day ended up being an awesome one! There's some reflection right there. Snow is fun for a very short period of time and then I'm ready to say, "Bye Felicia!" Add winter to that gubye as well. I'm so over being cold and staying inside at work watching mind numbingly terrible children's movies. Bring on spring and warm weather so I can begin complaining about being too hot!

One last thing and then I'm out. Friday I was talking to Emma and I had to run by the eye doc and was gonna go by Mom's on my way to work. Well I was working feverishly on this post until the last minute and jumped up from the couch, changed shirts quickly, went to the eye doc, went to Mom's, sat down and crossed my legs and that's when I discovered I still had on my house shoes. Went to the eye doc in my house shoes. They're Ugg house shoes so it's not like they were pink fuzzy slippers...which I would never own I might add. Oh well, to live an hour in my head would not be for the faint of heart. 

That's all I have for now. Still have lots to blog about but distractions are like shiny objects that catch my eye....they're numerous and everywhere. 

I've got chores to complete before I leave for work. And oh yeah our washer decided to stop agitating last night. Which REALLY agitated me. John's going to attempt to fix it tonight. 

Here's hoping. 

I'll report back sometime.     

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such a fun day hope we don't have to wait 15 yrs till the next one!!!

Emma said...

Ugh. I miss the snow!!!! It was so much fuunnnnnnnnn

Unknown said...

Funnnnnnnnn day!!!!