Friday, January 10, 2014

We bought a tree, so it must be Christmas

Every Friday after Thanksgiving we go buy our Christmas tree. It's tradition. And I don't know how, but my six family has gone together every year since they've been on the earth. That fact makes me very happy. For the past two years we've bought our tree from Home Depot. This new tradition began only after our regular tree lot closed. And it was kinda sad to change, because Home Depot just doesn't have the same Christmasy feel. Well seven seconds after we arrived to the depot, the very first tree the kids saw they said, "this one." They should have known by now I'd never go for that. So, we looked and unwrapped and looked and unwrapped some more. Finally I made my decision on a tree, it was perf, then an HD person snapped the top out of it. I was so unhappy. So, of course we ended up back at the one they saw 7 seconds after we got there and took it home to be our 2013 tree. 

For John and me, it was our 29th Christmas tree together. Twenty nine trees. Our first was a scrawny scotch pine in our first apartment in West Monroe. We were both still in school and had four jobs between the two of us. That was a long time ago. I remember back then grocery shopping with a calculator and adding up our items and when we got to $10, we had to stop. And I'm not even kidding. But we survived somehow and managed to still like each other...most of the time. We've made lots of great memories throughout the buying of those 29 trees. I know this for sure, I wouldn't change my life to be anything other than what we've had. Slow and steady has been our path. I think I chose wisely.   
Look, tree huggers.
My bunch of peeps.
The clothing choices are very conflicting  Was it hot or cold? Since Owen will wear shorts even when it's 40 outside, I'm going with the girls.  
Gotta do the other one.
Emma's version of being a tree.
I'd say she crushed it.
Our 29th tree in its place and before 3000 lights.
Then we went to the Turners to see their tree and William and I kept up our string of selfies.
And another.
We did an impromptu photo shoot.
Chillin
He was checking out...
His candy cane eating utensils Emma gave him.
It's a different way to go.
He was helping.
Then I tried to get...
A little artsy...
Sometimes I like a crooked picture. 
Then we were back at our house putting up icicles. 
An Olivia on the roof.
Then Brooke sent us the cutest ever pictures of Walker Charles.
He is scrumptious. 
I kept my tradition of awesome hats to wear. I've found this one suits me best, although its seasonality constricts my wearing it throughout the year. 
And then just like that, after 3000 lights....that's a true number....plus ornaments added, the tree was finished. 
It seems to me our home is coziest with a tree by the fireplace and our stockings hung with care. 
And so the season began with trees up and the house decorated and 29 Christmases to count. The only thing left to do was to make merry and have a wonderful time. And buy some presents.  

I have more of Christmas to post. So far, this is my third in four days. But the weekend is coming and today was busy and blogging takes so much time! 

Some of us went to see The Secret Life of Walter Mitty tonight and it was really good. I'll be buying it when it comes out. May go see it again. 

It's 2:28....A.M. and I have to goooooooooooo

G'night.

3 comments:

gnar car said...

santa hats suit us best, lis.

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to more posts. I may need to stream some more pics to you.

Mollie_Walker said...

So many Christmas lights on the tree. LOVE IT.