Thursday, December 5, 2013

The exciting but not fun morning and afternoon

This day that just ended was quite the busy one for me. It all started this morning when I walked into the den to find our almost 17 year old Golden Retriever had had an accident and tracked it all over the den and kitchen. So I had to mop the whole place. But the central crisis of the day happened around 1:45 this afternoon. 

Let me explain. 

I'd just gotten home from doing a chore and was sitting on the couch trying to edit some pictures I'd taken for the church Christmas program. Olivia was sitting nearby and looked up at the window and said. "There's a lizard in the window." And I said with much concern, "Inside or outside!" He was inside. Olivia then made it worse by saying, "It's a big lizard." (Little cartoon bubble over my head pictured 3 feet long.) This was a pickle and a dilemma. So I told Olivia to get him. She refused. So I bravely decided to open the window and encourage him to exit the home. BUT he was sitting on the window latch! It was now a pickle, a dilemma and a full on crisis. So Olivia joined Emma in the kitchen, leaving me to face the little intruder by myself. I yelled to bring me something! After a brief discussion as to what to bring me, I decided a Sonic cup with a top would be my trap. I kept my eye on the lizard and he kept his eye on me.....turning his lizard head sideways to look at me......freaks me out so bad. I took a deep breath to help me scream longer and went to work. I IMMEDIATELY began to scream as I chased him down the window and he turned to make another lap, I screamed and chased him back the other way....all the while Emma and Olivia were convulsing with laughter..no help...no help at all. Finally I got him in the cup and had the top half on and he was jumping to the top and I was screaming for someone to open the back door and it was as chaotic and ridiculous as it sounds. But we both made it out alive. 

BUT it's not over. So now I'm sitting on the couch, trying to finish my pictures and Olivia walks into the kitchen and believe it or not says, "There's a lizard in the kitchen." GADZOOKS!! It was a full on lizard invasion. I asked, "Is it the same lizard?" Imagine her sarcasm as she responded, "How am I supposed to know?" So I told her to get him. She refused. So I went into the kitchen and we looked at each other...the lizard and me...he with that same freakish side eye stare that a Velociraptor uses. This time I grabbed a tupperware container and trapped him under because by now, at the house of reptiles, it was time for Owen to be home from school and it would soon be HIS problem. I'm happy to say he removed the creature and for the rest of the day we never saw another lizard. BUT! When John got home I seriously asked him if he'd brought any desperate lizards into the home and he said no. Not sure I believe him, but I have no proof. And the only idea I have about how they...or he....got in was down the open chimney. But if it was the open chimney, he got out of the house and scoots up that thing real fast like. That's not good. I really don't think it's the entry point. 

Sigh.... Why lizards? Why?  

And that's my story for the day. 

Still working on wedding posts. 

I've got to start my lizard watch.

I suspect they wait till night and come in when no one's looking. 

Two lizards inside in one day?

That's a personal record. 

I'm out like a street light stunned by a Q beam.

I'm confident my pillow is fluffy and waiting. 

2 comments:

Becky said...

Hahahaha. We are SO brave!! Intruders they are..,,

Anonymous said...

hahahaha they must've known the cold was coming and were looking for a warm place to hide