Thursday, November 1, 2012

The day this has been

This year I'm being extremely proactive with Christmas presents. I've been checking and looking and talking and trying to make informed decisions about good gifts. And here's what's happening. This is no surprise to Caitlin so nobody panic. I've been looking for a Vera Bradley bag for her in her chosen pattern, lemon parfait. I've looked around on the Internet and finally, on ebay, I found the bag she wanted at an excellent price. I was thrilled. I put in a bid, and won! Yay!  

Well, today as I was leaving to meet John for lunch, the box with her bag arrived, so I threw it in the car with me and off I went. After lunch we walked to my car and his truck and I pulled out the box to attempt to open it. Well, there was nuclear winter style tape on it, as well as unbelievably super sticky glue and I was struggling to open it. Then John, who I'm sure was wondering why I had to open it in the parking lot, took out a utensil to open it for me. Finally after several minutes he got one end open and I quickly pulled the bag out of the box. But when I did, the receipt flew out of the box and successfully landed underneath the absolute middle of a truck parked next to mine. John got happy really fast. So he went to his truck to get something to attempt to retrieve the receipt. And it didn't work. It was in the middle middle. And he looked at me as if to say, "OK, I'm done." To which I silently replied, "Oh no you're not." And so he began his second retrieval attempt. Now he and I are on our knees under this stranger's truck with both our butts struck up in the air and I'm laughing uncontrollably as he's getting madder and madder. Finally, with teamwork and red faces, we got the receipt and I was able to turn my attention to the bag. 

It was the correct pattern but the wrong bag. Because all the time I should have been searching the Internet for a bag called the Grand Traveler, I was looking at another bag called the Weekender. Big difference. And then it dawned on me, THAT'S why I got such a good deal on it. And not only did I get the wrong bag, I waved Carrie off the right one that she had actually found on sale. Yay me again. So I called Caitlin and said, "Well I have good news and bad news, I got the bag. But it's the wrong bag. Imagine if the Grand Traveler had a baby. It would be something called the Weekender and that's what I bought." She laughed and said she might like it anyway. Crisis averted. OK, that's not really a crisis. 

Then after I left the lunch place, I went to Melanie's to sneak a peek at William. As I was saying hey to the blurry little boy, I realized I left my glasses in the car. So I backed him up away from my face instead of going to get them. After he and Lindsey left, I left as well and it was then I discovered my glasses weren't in my car. Cluster. Immediately I knew where they were. So I headed back to the lunch place and sure enough, found my glasses in a flower bed right next to where the truck had been parked. And it was all as exhausting as it sounds. 

Good news is, Caitlin's all about an extra Christmas present and wants to keep the wrong bag while continuing the search for the right one. Shocker. The moral of the story is, I suck at gift searching and giving. 

And just to give everyone another chuckle at my expense, last Saturday was ULM's homecoming. Well, I was looking at a picture of the all inclusive homecoming court, and as I was reading the names, I was shocked and awed by the only boy on the court's name beginning with King! So I said to John who was in the room with me at the time, "OH MY GOSH this woman named her son King! His first name is King! Who does that?" Well John reacted with the correct amount of surprise as well as some bewilderment at my statement. Then today....and I'm not even kidding.....it dawned on me the boy was the homecoming KING....not so much his name was KING. Henry is his first name. So tonight I was telling John about it and he said, "Well, I was wondering about that at the time." Best he didn't try to mess with my stupid. Took me 5 days to figure it out.   

Also today Emma saw a guy at school dressed up as Luigi, from the Mario game, and she thought it to be so random that he dress in that manner. Then, later, she realized, "Ohhhhhhhhhhh it's October 31. Now it all makes sense."  

Now, for the moment at least, all the stupid is out on the table. 

Attempting another post of William in the patch, but the west is calling my name.

See ya smoothies....  
      

1 comment: