Wednesday, June 30, 2010

July 4ths of the past

I've spent the afternoon scanning over 200 pictures of July 4ths past and I'll be posting them over the next few days. I've enjoyed reminiscing as I looked through my photographs. I found much younger people, many hayrides, lots of family time and tons of laughter while searching my photo albums. Those were wonderful trips. And as the size of the family grew, it only got better. The look of the farm, as well as the surrounding area, definitely looks different. In fact some of the pictures I chose were not so much for a great photograph of someone, but rather the nearby scenery.

I'll have some commentary to explain some things that may not be recognizable. Also I'm not doing them in yearly order.

Take your time. Have a look and most importantly remember the fun.

It surely was grand.

The people that made it all happen. They were fantastic.







I miss all of these people. That's Howard in the blue. I remember him always calling Mary Catherine "Sapphire." Then there's Bessie with her back to the camera wearing her peach colored double knit dress that she made herself. Nina and Gran are sitting in the glider and then Mollie with her feet propped up wearing that wonderful pink gingham dress that I loved so much. I also remember Nina and Mollie calling each other sister. That's Nina's blue car in the background and Gran's pecan trees are back there as well. I'm not sure if the other tree behind Nina is a Pine tree or something else. But all are gone now. The people here look relaxed and enjoying each other's company. It would be delightful to spend more time with all of them.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You know it wasn't until I was older that I realized Mollie and Nina weren't blood related. In my child eyes everyone was family. I love the example they made of two families becoming one. Even with both families coming from different backgrounds. Great pictures.

Unknown said...

Meaning blood related to gran and Grandma.

Anonymous said...

Yes it's true they were a great example of blending 2 families. As I have explored our ancestry I've found their backgrounds were more similar than I realized. Mollie and Nina were always much more reserved than Truly or even Bessie.