Monday, June 30, 2014

Olivia's graduation day

If anyone recalls, way back in May we had two graduations, Olivia's and Owen's. And boy did they each have their own story. But I'm beginning with Olivia's first and the tale that went along with the day. It just goes to show that it takes all kinds of people. Most of them seem to be rude and obnoxious. 

Here's how it went...

When the seat holders arrived at our regular time for seat holding which is 8:00, we were met with a note on the door of the coliseum stating the doors wouldn't open until 8:30. SO. Obnoxious. With all the different ways of dispensing information, it would seem to be a good idea for the university to TELL PEOPLE THAT. But they didn't. The note also said there was no seat saving....also obnoxious. We've been doing this FOREVER. Tell people the changes! Well as about 75 ish people stood waiting for the doors to open there was one lady in the crowd that had attitude and an agenda. And as fate would have it she ended up in the section we always sit in and proceeded to exhibit her attitude towards anyone in the area. That means us in case you didn't get that. She was so rude. It was a crazy beginning to what should have been a fab day. I'll leave the rest of the details out because she isn't worth the words. But when it was all said and done, the big stick of knowledge made its appearance, the robed people entered the coliseum in their usual manner and Olivia received her diploma. And we didn't have a fist fight. So as I see it, we won the day.  

I did try to enjoy the ceremony, but I've gotta say it was one of the most disappointing graduations I've attended. The speaker truly sucked...and I'm not even kidding. People! Graduation speeches are supposed to inspire the graduates as they go out into the world! Not depress the crap out of everybody! I was all like, "Man you're an idiot. Why talk about debt incurred by attending college on the day these people are graduating! Shut it up. I may actually hire myself out as a no nonsense graduation speaker. I would be AWESOME. 

The main purpose of the day, the actual diploma cover, did happen, so all in all it was a success. Albeit an annoying one.

Let's scroll down and see how it all went as the morning unfolded. 


Pre-graduation ready in the seats before reporting to her spot in line. 
With the Dad.
And then me.
Some of our spectators. 
Cute pic of Carrie. I've discovered this is Carrie's standard graduation wearing shirt.
Olivia reported to her place in line.
There it is...that stick.
Olivia's in there. Find her.
At first I thought these were Olivia's arms up in the air. Then I decided they weren't. Then she confirmed they were. Riveting information. 
Dude! You are sooooo tall!
Olivia making nice with the prez.
It's her diploma cover now never to be taken away. 
A wave to her fans.
Then a pic with Gmaw.
And another.
Some people love to have their picture taken. 
Yes they do.
The usual suspects for graduations.
I put this entire sequence of pics in for a reason. 
Notice that Randy is trying to crowd Caitlin out.
But she prevailed and kept her composure and her ability to find the camera. 
Goober butt. 
Once more.
Then just the grands.
Mollie's adding a little flair.
Olivia's parting her graduation wisdom.  
Grandma's out.
Brookshire's wouldn't let Owen off to attend his sister's graduation. Jerks. 
One more.
Cuzeez are all grown up. Maggie with glasses.
And without.
And sissies too.
Once more with feeling.
Dad with the grad.
Why did I use this picture without fixing the off center first? 
It's over.
Nothing more to see here folks. 
We're moving on....
I'm glad to report the mean lady didn't completely ruin our day and Olivia graduated with honors and then shed a tiny tear as she walked out knowing she was probably done with school for life. OK, that's not really true because she didn't so much like college as she did tolerate it. But I'm so proud of her accomplishment, and while Olivia didn't exactly love it, she will always be able to say she has a college degree. And that matters to me and to John...and probably to her...even though I don't think she would admit it....yet.

I still love a graduation, and I still can't believe my kids are old enough to have finished college. It's a universal thing with parents. Every single parent I know can't believe the kids they birthed are actually grown up. Even though it happened right before their eyes. Every day I'm still working on my heart catching up with the events of my life. I don't think my kids get it. That feeling of letting go isn't a fun one. But even so, I'm doing it. Even though I hate it, I think I'm getting pretty good at it. 

To the future for Olivia. 

I can't wait to see what's next. 

Love, Mom 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

#1) I like the off center pic

#2) in answer to the previous posts closing question... I'm still here!!!

Anonymous said...

Love the pic of Carrie purple is her color!! So proud of Livia the cum laude like all the rest of your children magna or summa (ugh makes me feel so dumb) the mean ole lady nearly ruined the day but she did not!! Thankfully!! I like the off center pic too!!

CAW said...

Thanks for the compliment and the call out for the same shirt...gotta go with what ya got...its a comfy shirt Graduations make for an interesting event to attend for sure. Congrats to the grads in spite of it all.