Wednesday, September 18, 2013

It's all about the clothes...or lack thereof

When I was last here, Owen and I were going shopping for a suit. Well the grades are in, but first let me tell you about it. I'm a HUGE believer in communication, so days before Owen and I went shopping, I gave him a rundown of what we were looking for and what to expect. Failure was not an option. Just before we left the house I asked John if he'd like to go with us and he quickly and emphatically stated, "NO." But before Owen and I left, he told the boy, "Cooperate, be pleasant and it will be less painful." What I know about Owen is, he doesn't get distracted by the things John does. Shiny appliances are unappealing and the feel of fabric means nothing to him. In fact, distractions are his enemy keeping him from the exit. So I looked for suits and he was every bit the cooperative adult I never dreamed he would be. And just as his father told him, it was easy and painless and we left with nothing because my coupon didn't start til the next day! So then I came home and ordered it all online. Now I'm waiting with anticipation for a fashion show when it all comes in. So exciting! So overall the boy gets an A for the trip. He loves to make A's. As we were riding home I said, "So lets pretend you care about clothes and if you did what would you choose to wear to the wedding?" His answer, black pants, dark blue shirt, tie and no jacket. I was happy he even played the game!

Then the next night I kept up my non-stop shopping with another excursion with John. We're still searching for the elusive black dress shoe. And I find with him it's best if I just spring it on him when I'm ready to walk out the door. Once again we found nothing. I hate so many men's shoes. If only I could become a cobbler. So when we left I said, "So lets pretend you care about clothes and if you did what kind of black shoes would you buy? And his choice was a slip on when described sounded exactly like the old ones we're replacing. So the discussion went something like this..."Why do you want another slip on loafer type situation?" And he said, "So I can slip it off when I need to scratch my toe." Of course my next question was, "And how often do you have to scratch your toe?" His answer, "More times than you might think." So once again I discovered another reason for why he cares not about being fashion forward. The list now includes itchy toes. At this point, I'd settle for "fashion not going backwards." Sigh....his math teacher look remains. 

Update about the wedding clothing: I wrote all that a week ago and then Carrie came to town and before I knew it multi days passed and now here I am finishing the story. BUT! Owen's stuff just got here! But! He's in school! Bummer! Then when he gets home I'll be at work! Bummer again! 

Then last night John and I went to see the black shoes that were ordered for him and we liked them! Miracles still happen. And just in case you were wondering, it's not a slip on shoe. SO! Four or five times in the next year, when he's wearing his suit with the lace up shoes, he'll have more difficulty accessing his itchy toes. And all I have to say about that is ewwwwww. 

Continuing with the discussion about clothing....Monday night a group of us went to eat Mexican and William was in attendance. After some amount of time eating queso, the boy was so covered in cheesy sauce, his clothes had to be removed. And there he was, unashamedly in diaper only in the restaurant. He was the cutest naked person in the place. I promise.  







It's remarkable how children can be naked and uncaring in public. It's together awesome and frightening. 

And that's the last few days in a nutshell. 

Also, my cable and Internet have been bad all day....SO annoying. 

Also also, I've almost convinced myself it will never be cool in Louisiana again. 

Hope to post more this week so stay tuned.


The end.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hahahahaa enjoyed that!!