Monday, May 7, 2012

Sunday, Melanie and I went to a wedding shower for a friend's daughter. When we arrived, the gift opening was in full swing, so we found a place to stand and watch as the bride excitedly opened her treasures. We chatted with a few people, and ended up standing the entire time, about 45 minutes, until the gifting portion ended and the refreshment offering began. Well, as we were walking into the kitchen, I thought I stepped on something, so I tried to shake "it" off my shoe. Then I walked a few more steps and it still felt funny, so I stopped to look closely at the bottom of my shoe. What I discovered was, my shoe was in the process of disintegrating. Total and complete failure of my shoe was taking place. Pieces of shoe were falling off wherever I walked in this unfamiliar house with mostly unfamiliar people. There was a chunk in the living room, and quite the sizable piece in the kitchen, pretty much wherever I walked. When people weren't looking, I sneaked a few pieces in my pocket. But there was just too much shoe debris to efficiently secure all the parts. In other words, I left some shoe. And because of the whole, "my shoe's falling apart" thing, I was off kilter since the other shoe was still good to go! It's kind of hard to describe, but after the larger pieces had fallen off, picture a little cloud of shoe puffing out as I walked. Of course I said nothing, except to Melanie, about the wilting shoe. Thankfully no one noticed the chunklets or the shoe clouds, and as soon as we could, we hightailed it outta there. By the time I got to the car, the other shoe was showing the same signs of failure. By the time I got home, both were headed to the trash. The car had so much shoe, it needed a vacuuming. It was quite the development for the Sunday afternoon event. I can't imagine what the hostesses thought when they found all that shoe crap all over the floor. But my lips were sealed.

Of course I took a picture.

This is what shoe failure looks like. It once had quite a substantial heel.

This cut goes deep, because these were my "go to" shoes for summa teas, showers and southern affairs. Now I have flip flops and no tea shoes. And with that, my sad shoe story ends. Now that I think about it, this may be my only sad shoe story. Now I have to try to replace them, the reason being is because I stay in great demand for parties, flings and such.

I must shop NOW!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

So made me laugh!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Karma!! After Katie's shoe incident at Lindseys shower!! Ha. Whit