Tuesday, June 19, 2018

The selfie and getting through together

I'm going to do my best to write on a regular basis about our family and growing up in Corsicana. I didn't live in Corsicana, but a huge part of my life, all of our lives, was spent there. It was and still is a great place to be. So, my first post, about Mollie is the first in what I hope is a continuing series about family. 

In that vein.... 

We took these pics when we were in Corsicana for the Memorial Day weekend. They are so funny to me and I think you will see what I mean when you look at them. 

That day many had already left for home and the last of us were spending the afternoon at the farm before another wave of departures took place. We were cleaning up and wandering about, and Emma and I were sitting in the swing in the backyard. And we decided to take a selfie. 

The rest happened "organically" as the young folks say these days. 

Take a look at what happened....




















From one to another and then another. Everyone eventually made it into the picture. And that makes me giggle. If you didn't notice, go back and see that Keith was usurping Becky's space and so she had to put the smack down on him. 

Gosh I love these people. And all the rest that aren't in the picture. I've experienced a lot of happiness with all these people. And a lot of heartache as well. I've never in my life been more heartbroken than I've been in the last six months. So much bad happened so fast and we couldn't recover from one before the next wave hit us all. And the only thing that has helped me is that we are living it together. Together we are trudging through to the other side of this sadness and we all expect to make it together.

We still have bad moments and bad days. And the grief can hit any of us in the quickest moment. But there is always someone to turn to and understand what each of us is feeling. Because we are living it as a family. It's the only way we know how to do it. We have this history together. Time spent together. It matters that we can rely on each other to help us get through the sad moments or days. It's the only way we know how to do life. Together. 

So even though we were all in Corsicana for a sobering event, we loved and laughed our way through it. And we are closer for that experience. And no one will ever be able to understand it like we do, unless you were there to walk it out....together. 

So thank God for these people.

Look at that mass of humanity that is my family. 

Mom and Carrie and all the rest of our loved ones in heaven would surely be proud of us.

I know I am.

Love you all forever and always. 

No comments: