Thursday, November 3, 2016

The DC memorials at night

On Wednesday in DC we had a full day of events to attend. We started with our girls tea party while the boys went to museums. That evening we had tickets for the Nationals vs New York Mets baseball game. The logistics of all those events were tricky and spread far apart, but we managed to make each thing with time to spare. By 7ish o'clock we found ourselves in our seats on a lovely, cool evening ready to watch some baseball. But, baseball takes too long. It just does. They need to fix that somehow, anyhow, but it's too long. I think I've already said that. 

Not surprisingly at some point I was ready to go. Thankfully everyone else agreed to the leaving and we got out of the park, walked the 19 miles back to our car, and then I had a great idea.

We had been in DC for four whole days and yet the boys had still not been to see the memorials. I proposed to the group we do a nighttime walk around the mall to see all or as many as we could. My idea was met with incredulity and resistance. It was between 9 and 10 PM, so I understood it was a stretch to keep going that night, but because the boys had never seen them, I was persistent. And in my opinion, the best time to see the memorials is at night. The reason I think that is because there were too many people in the city at the time of our vacation and in my opinion it wasn't going to be as impactful with tons of people. When we were there in February we went at night and I loved it. 

The girls were the ones giving the pushback because everyone in our group had to shower, and there was only one for all to use. If we all got home at midnight, we'd be into the wee hours vying for cleanliness and beds. We quickly made a plan for all to go to the Jefferson Memorial and then the girls would go home to shower while we walked the other memorials and then they'd come back to get us. It was a good decision. 

The Jefferson Memorial sits on a plot of land along the Tidal Basin, and the loveliest of summer breezes was wafting off the water as we walked up to it. It's one of those things I can't explain, but I know I will always remember. I can recall it exactly right now.

Thomas Jefferson wrote so eloquently. People don't write or speak like him anymore. Lets read some of his quotes. 

From the Declaration of Independence....
"We hold these truths to be self evident, that all men are created equal. That they are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights, among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, that to secure these rights governments are instituted among men." 

This one is relevant for our time right now....

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” 

“The most valuable of all talents is that of never using two words when one will do.” 

 I'll keep that last one in mind sir.
A view from Jefferson.
There he is.

Emma was actually riding around since parking is nonexistent. 
A stranger person took this for us.
The view from inside the monument.
The night remained breezy as we left the Jefferson Monument and went to the Washington Monument and the World War II Memorial. 


We need some George Washington quotes to help us hope our government will somehow figure out how to get it right..... 


"Let us with caution indulge the supposition that morality can be maintained without religion. Reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principle." 

"Few people have the virtue to withstand the highest bidder." 

"Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence."
The view from the Washington Monument.

Fifty flags encircle the monument.
That would be me.
Out of many, one....
The letter from General Dwight D. Eisenhower to the D-day soldiers....


Soldiers, 

Sailors and Airmen of the Allied Expeditionary Forces:

You are about to embark upon the Great Crusade, toward which we have striven these many months. The eyes of the world are upon you. The hopes and prayers of liberty-loving people everywhere march with you. In company with our brave Allies and brothers-in-arms on other Fronts you will bring about the destruction of the German war machine, the elimination of Nazi tyranny over oppressed peoples of Europe, and security for ourselves in a free world. 

Your task will not be an easy one. Your enemy is well trained, well equipped and battle-hardened. He will fight savagely. 

But this is the year 1944. Much has happened since the Nazi triumphs of 1940-41. The United Nations have inflicted upon the Germans great defeats, in open battle, man-to-man. Our air offensive has seriously reduced their strength in the air and their capacity to wage war on the ground. Our Home Fronts have given us an overwhelming superiority in weapons and munitions of war, and placed at our disposal great reserves of trained fighting men. The tide has turned. The free men of the world are marching together to victory. 

I have full confidence in your courage, devotion to duty, and skill in battle. We will accept nothing less than full victory. 

Good Luck! And let us all beseech the blessing of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking.

That gave me chills...and some tears. Their bravery astonishes me and I don't understand it, but I'm forever grateful for it. Over 400,000 Americans were killed fighting in World War II. The definition of Valor is: great courage in the face of danger, especially in battle. That describes them perfectly. 





Our family weren't Louisianians when that war was being fought. 
Our grandmother sent three sons off to war. I can't imagine HER valor. Sending off pieces of her heart to all places of the world.


I was unimpressed with Korean War quotes, but the memorial is stunningly haunting to say the least. 








And lastly but certainly not least is Abraham's place...

Abraham Lincoln would be a good president to have again. If only there was someone like him for now. 

Some of his quotes...

"With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in; to bind up the nation's wounds; to care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow and his orphan to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace, among ourselves, and with all nations."


"Fourscore and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation, conceived in liberty and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal." 

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
The view from the Lincoln Memorial.
I could stay for hours. 

That was our walk through some American history. As Lee Greenwood always says, I'm proud to be an American. I really am. I love our flag, our country, our military and the beauty of this country. I'm unabashedly proud to be a citizen of these United States, even though it doesn't feel like we are very united right now. 


I'm praying for God's outcome next week. Because that's all I can do. 

Before that, I'll be heading west later today, which means I'll be out til sometime next week. 

In the meantime, we need some cooler weather before Thanksgiving or we will have to wear bikinis on that day and I have to say I may not be bikini ready by then....or ever. So come on cool weather!! Where are you? It's November already! Do something!

OK, I'm done yelling at Fall. 

I'll see ya by the see saw.   

No comments: