Thursday, August 27, 2015

I operate saws now.

I began this post over a week ago and I've had very little time to come back and work on it. There's been much happening with school starting last week, as well as our continued home improvement. I've had a difficult time getting back to finishing this. 

Last week we finally finished the top part of our bookcase makeover. It was Saturday that the hammering stopped. It was divine. Cleaning up is ongoing, but I'm gonna get through the final showing of the top of our makeover...still have the bottom to do. Oy.

These words began a long time ago, and I'm not changing them....  

In the ongoing process of our home makeover, the bookcase in our den needed a facelift. Painting it seemed futile knowing that a new coat of paint would just be a bandaid. So, in a brainstorming moment a few weeks ago, Caitlin said to me, "Why don't you make it look like shiplap." And a brilliant idea was born. I love shiplap! I think the world currently loves shiplap! Next I brought John in for a design meeting, we discussed wood types, cost, paint or not to paint. Then we bought some wood for a test, and so began the process of changing the look of our bookcase. We looked at a few kinds of wood, including cypress, and in the end chose pine since it was inexpensive and it was going to be painted white anyway. John, cut it, I painted it, and we weren't happy with the look. It was all uniform and therefore almost the same as what we had. Then he suggested we rasp the sides to roughen it up a bit, and voila! It was perf. 

Then we ran into an issue at the top of the shelves. It's always been too much of an overhang at the top, so I decided to have a long distance design meeting with Carrie and after some discussion, another good idea/Lucy moment was born. I can't explain it as good as I can show it so....
I hate the overhang part at the top of the front of the shelf and wanted it to go away, so we decided it needed to be cut out. 
It doesn't look like this anymore. 
I went to Melanie's to borrow her reciprocating saw. Yes it is hers and not Randy's. When I pulled into the driveway, I saw this Vue car convention, so I took a pic.
Billie June and I were riding when I got the saw, so I took it to John, who I thought would then start reciprocating. When we pulled into the carport, he was outside working. I thought, "Aww, he's still working." When I asked him what he was doing he said, "Working on something." Hmm I thought maybe he was making something for me. So Billie and I continued on our way and after some time passed, I dropped her off and headed home, sooo excited about the reciprocating I KNEW had taken place. Walked in the house and John was sitting in his chair. There had been absolutely NO reciprocating done! And I said, "There has been no reciprocating done!" And he said, "I was making something." Then, he said something I believe no other husband in this century has ever said. 

He showed me this... 
This is him showing me.
I think he may be giving me the finger.
I asked what was that thing he was holding and he said, these words I will never forget. "It's an at ladle." Me, "What's an at ladle?" And he actually held the stupid thing up again and said, "It's this!" Then I said, "What is that?!?!" And he said again, "It's an at ladle!" You see where this is going... Then I very calmly said, "I'm gonna use it to beat you if you don't tell me what an at ladle is!!!" And then he said, 'It's helps with spear throwing."Oh, I forgot we needed one of those. 

I live with this all the time and people think I'm the high maintenance wacko. That's so incorrect. 

Because I was annoyed AND I didn't want to "admire" the at ladle he'd made, the next thing I did was...I got the step ladder and the reciprocating saw. I've never used a saw in my life. It's just not what I do. They make me nervous with all the blades and the noise as well as the ability to cut off appendages. But I wanted the reciprocating done and that was that. So I took a deep breath and went for it and cut the first one out. I MAY have gotten the top of the inside of the shelf (it's since been painted and you can't even tell) and I may have cut a piece I wasn't supposed to cut. BUT. I did it. I think John was shocked. It was getting late and so we decided to stop until the next day and he decided a different blade might be better for me to use. So the next morning he went and bought another blade and I eventually cut the rest of the shelves out. 

See for yourself.
The middle one is cut as you can see here.
The next day I cut the rest of them out. Love it so much better. 
There was more sanding I had to do and then John came in to do the finishing work....that's not my strong suit....and voila! It became fabulous. The finished product is coming... 

Then on Tuesday we got a picture and a text from Becky in Ohio and the following ensued.  



Then on Wednesday I had to run errands and found this clock I like....
And this clock I love....
I think it would be better if it said, Time to be gorgeous.
More of the bookcase magic happening. 

Yikes! Lightening at the beach!
When I went to look for the at ladle after John went to bed, I found it RIGHT NEXT TO HIM on his nightstand. I guess it's like the day after Christmas morning for him.
Things in place with some empty shelves! I love empty stuff!
Next we have to redo the doors, get new hardware and paint the bottom. That starts this weekend. Also a new face for our fireplace will be had and this phase of our remodel will be finished for now.

Then we have to finish demo on...then re-tile our back shower. In the next year our bedroom will need new carpet, which means popcorn ceiling removal. And the list just goes on and on and on....

In the meantime, I'm learning new kids names and habits and I'm happy to report a pretty smooth beginning to the school year. But many children each day! 

I'll close without a picture of a recovering Lydia, but so glad to know she's home and on the road to total healing and recovery.

Thank you Lord for all things huge and small.  

I'm off to work. I hope to be blogging more often in the short future.

Later to the taters.

3 comments:

Emma said...

hahahahaa I've already heard the at ladle story but I laughed out loud reading it again! He's a goofball.
Also didn't know he slept with it next to his bed. It's like I could see him sleeping with a smile on his face.

The den looks great!

CAW said...

I am happy the ladle makes John happy!! And love the shelves!! Great job and great team!!! J + L = great house redo!!

Anonymous said...

You go girl saws and tools are the best fun!! The at ladle still cracks me up and I guess it would be a good weapon if need be. So thankful Lydia is home and on the road to total healing!!