Friday, November 7, 2014

The January Swander trip that uncovered a terrible thing

Continuing the recording of the journal from Corsicana....

In January 2014 the Swander family took a weekend trip to Corsicana and made a discovery that sent shock waves through the family. 

January 25, 2014

We arrived after a nonstop travel at 1:00. We had Braum's for lunch and then were busy exploring. We gathered sticks, pulled the wagon, checked the chickens, horses and cows. The most noteworthy thing of the day was the cypress tree that Gran planted all those years ago was gone. I reported the news to everyone and the fire was hot on Dale until he quickly stood up and reported it was the pipeline people and not him. All his sisters took a deep breath and he was free to live another day. We then napped, gave the horses treats and headed to OMI for dinner. Sat by the cypress twig tree burning fire (RIP) and are now tucked in for bedtime. I am already dreaming of my cinnamon roll tomorrow....
William had a lot to say about the trip.
After their arrival, Lindsey sent an email letting everyone know they were at the farm and and also that they had discovered the cypress tree Gran had planted was gone for life. It was a shocking turn of events that made people point the finger at Dale. Lets read further and see what happened. 

Lindsey:
We are here and all looks fine. Working on water. The cypress tree is gone?? I missed that somehow. There are multi cows in the pasture? Ant beds everywhere. Should we poison them. We will try and mow. Gran would have a fit with the leaves and sticks. Hank and Socks are headed this way now expecting treats I'm sure!!

Lisa:
What do you mean gone!? What happened to it!? 

Lindsey: Gone. I'm gonna say dale but??? (Lindsey implicated Dale because he loves a chainsaw in his hands and a tree in his sights.)
Observe the naked pasture. 
This is what it should look like. Gone but not forgotten. 
Lydia:
Checking with him right now. (No one was willing to come to his immediate defense because we all knew it was a real possibility.) 

Lindsey:
I told Bill I may have gotten him (him would be Dale in this case) in big trouble.

Lisa:
There was no reason to cut that down. (I was fuming.)  

Lydia:
Dale said it was pipeline work. He did not do it. (Everyone heaved a HUGE sigh of relief so that we didn't have to kick his butt.)

(Then the fallout continued to ripple through the family.)

Mollie:
Mollie:WHAT?! THATS TERRIBLE NEWS!!!!!!! WTH?!

Melanie:
Awwww man I'm sad about that. Randy will be too!! Butt munches.

Carrie:Unbelievable. Lin I may interrupt your family time tomorrow afternoon.

Lindsey:
Lindsey: Sure! All are welcome. Lisa, Bill is gathering the twigs from the cypress tree to burn. We can save them if you want but it's pretty sad stuff.  

Lisa:
No it's ok. But Gran planted it as an homage to his Louisiana grandkids. It makes me so mad. And then sad.  

Carrie:
Lin you dont see any of the tree anywhere ?? Other than the twigs.  

Lindsey: None. Very small twigs is all I see.

Carrie: I guess they hauled it off with them which I guess is good maybe but then again!!! At least we still have the cedar trees he planted down at the barn.

Lydia:
Charge them for it. Cypress is expensive.

Melanie:
Randy is going to be so sad. A few died before he got this one to live. 

The pipeline people (jerks) did in fact cut the tree without our permission, even though they didn't need it due to imminent domain which is the law in Texas...and maybe everywhere for all I know. BUT. Because of imminent domain, they can come onto any property and do pretty much anything they want to do....without the owner's consent. And that makes me completely insane! This is still America isn't it?!?!?! 

Then an email came from Dale. 
I swear on a Bible it was not me. They have done several pipeline projects in the property, it was them getting things away from the line. Remember the colored fence posts there by where the tree was? 

Lindsey: I wasn't blaming anyone!!! :) Glad you're not in trouble!!! Sad it's gone. 

Lisa:
I'm so mad about that!! What jerks.

Dale:

It could easily have been me. (He speaks his own truth). But this time it wasn't.

Lisa:

Ha ha ha I'm so glad I don't have to be mad at you!!! I'm so grieved. I would have kept that wood and done something with it.

(The next day, while at the farm, Lindsey made an observation that we've all thought over the years. And that is, people drive too fast down our street.)


We need a "slow your *** down" sign. I mean people don't need to go that fast!!!!!


Then when the time was 10:01 on Carrie's phone, she saw this and took a pic and sent it to us.  


Carrie: 

When I looked at my phone....cutest googly eyes  

Melanie:
Ha ha so cute!

Olivia:
Hahahahahahahaha that is fantastic

Caitlin:That is hilarious!  

Fast forward to May 2014 when my family made a trip to the farm and got some additional information about the cypress tree. I sent an email letting people know the rest of the story.

Lisa: 
Dan just stopped by and said he couldnt believe they cut the cypress down. He said it was gone before he even knew anything was happening. Supposedly they stopped at every house around here looking for someone to contact and no one knew to call us. So the horse lady down the road got them to mulch it for her and she got the mulch!!!!! Our cypress became her mulch So pist.  

Note: This lady does not look like a horse. She HAS horses and that's why I identified her as the horse lady. I knew everyone would know who I was speaking of when I said horse lady. Having said all that, I have no idea what she looks like and therefore I guess it's possible she might actually look like a horse who had the privilege of having our cypress tree in the form of mulch. And that's not cool.

And that's the story of the loss of the cypress tree that Gran planted, including its resting place. 

Now I have to go to bed so I can be at the dentist at 7:45. Such a stupid hour and I hate going to the dentist. 

Hate.

1 comment:

Mollie_Walker said...

The tree being gone is still SO. DANG. SAD.