Friday, May 9, 2014

It's Olivia's turn

Since the year 2000, our family has had so many gradations that it's hard to keep up with the total. It's 18 since 2000. I'd say there's been a lot of educating going on. Which brings me to number 19 and Olivia. Olivia Grace. Now it's her turn. Her turn to graduate from college. This Saturday she will take her place among the graduated from college. It's a very prestigious accomplishment to me. She doesn't necessarily agree. But I couldn't be happier that she has completed her not so loved major.

Olivia was born 14 1/2 months after Emma. And it wasn't an accident. People teased me about having another baby so soon after Emma, but I always knew it was a good idea. I still do. Once I had three little girls on the ground, it was wild heavenly chaos. Seriously. Chaos. The girls and I hit our stride as homebodies once Olivia was here. We woke up, ate breakfast and made tents and doll houses and did the fun stuff. I loved to dress them alike and when I look back now, who knew I'd be someone who hates to match? But I had a matching set of cute little girls and was tickled pink.....

Olivia's always had a unique way of fitting in, even when she's seen and not heard. She has such a sense of seeing things, different from many. It's always interesting to me to find out what she thinks. She's a thinking person. But now our third daughter has done the unthinkable. She's all grown up, and she's turned out pretty fabulous. Her sense of humor and dry wit are the envy of me. She has a way about her that fascinates me, and a couple of weeks ago she asked me to go to Target with her, so I did. Once there she proceeded to buy specific things indicating she was going to mail them to an unnamed cousin out of town. When I doubted some of her purchasing choices she said, "You can't. You can't question the process. You don't understand how this works." She was correct. She has much patience for setting up a prank and letting it play out. Even if it takes months. I cannot.   

Everyone knows Olivia has a love of all things Texas. It happened early in her life and she has stayed true to it. I remember for some reason Gran told me she looked like a Rosemary to him, so he called her Rosemary. I have no idea why. But he did. We've talked about her naming a daughter Rosemary in memory of him. I know Gran would find her fun and funny and I'd love to see the two of them sitting and talking together. He would find her to be absolutely enjoyably wonderful. 

I wish I had a notebook of all the things I want to remember from my kids childhood. But I didn't write things down. But I remember Olivia as patient, kind, tough, and tender hearted. And I've been thinking about my own tender heart when it comes to my kids growing up. I really really don't want my kids to still be babies. I know I've said this here before, but what I've realized what makes my heart hurt is the battles they now must fight on their own. Sometimes daily. It's the loss of innocence I hate to see more than anything. Knowing it's not kid's play anymore. And outside people will never have their best interest at heart like John and me. But even so, with all that in my head and my heart, I know it will be OK. My instinct as I see change coming is always to say no first. But I can't because that would mean them not pursuing happiness and success outside of our family. And because I want all those things for them, I know change is inevitable and will be good. I just hope the change coming will keep them closer than farther away. 

So Saturday John and I will take up our seats again, along with the rest of our family and watch this important event in the life of our third child to graduate and celebrate her accomplishment....and ours. I don't know how we managed to achieve such wonderful kids...including nieces and nephews....but I'm so grateful to God for the lives they are living.We've done it together, and stuck it out through the good and the bad. 

Olivia turned 22 yesterday and will be a college graduate tomorrow. It's a pretty big week for her. 

And my heart is mostly happy about it all.

Maybe I'm finally growing up

A little.....

No comments: