Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Emma's graduation day

Emma's graduation day was a calm and uneventful affair with no seat saving drama. As I've stated in the past, saving seats is dangerous business because people get real mad when they want the seats you've been saving, but the early bird gets the worm....and the seats. Melanie, Lydia and I arrived at the coliseum at 8:00 ready to spar and bicker with anyone if necessary. Really glad it wasn't necessary. So we settled in for the wait and the time passed exactly like two hours....then it was time to graduate. As always there was pomp. There was circumstance. And they met together for one great song. By now, anyone who's read about graduation here knows how much I love the moment the big stick of knowledge enters the house. And it made its appearance once again. As I've stated before it's really the Mace....but big stick of knowledge is SO. MUCH. BETTER.. So I'm calling that phrase coined. 

As always the robed people processed in and took their seats; and since this is our muliteth grad in multi years, we knew the road map. A state representative was the speaker, and he was true to his word when he said he wouldn't speak too long. We were thankful a politician who had a captive audience didn't take advantage. And before we knew it, Emma  as well as 787 other people had their diplomas in hand. As always, the graduates were super excited to get them. And one thing's for sure, even with all that's going on in the world these days, all of the participants young and old alike, couldn't be happier about the accomplishment they achieved. One unusual thing about this graduation was, about 5 other graduates in or around Emma's age, who attended our church school, also graduated that day. I thought it was highly unusual for all of them to be getting diplomas at the same time. One boy, who was in Emma's kindergarten class, was graduating and entering the Air Force. Emma's kindergarten class was all of 5 or 6 kids, so I thought it amazing that out of 788 people graduating from ULM on that Saturday, the two of them made it out together. 

I'm glad I can say I've been to every single graduation of the kids in our family. After the ceremony I got to thinking about how many people in our family have attended or graduated from ULM. All told it's 18 degrees from 16 attendees. I find that extremely impressive and think we should get to take a pic with the big stick of knowledge! It so should be. I can see all of us standing by the big stick....me holding it of course....and looking all fancy. I'm so gonna look into making this happen. As always, there were pictures to have for the memory. 

Always gotta take the pre-ceremony photo. 
Emma came to see us in the seats. 
Awww, this is a terrible pic of me but great of her.
I chose to overlook the fact that John and I were wearing the same color. It wasn't easy.
Some of the spectators. 
Plus one.
I know it's dark but.......THE BIG STICK OF KNOWLEDGE IS IN THE HOUSE!!!!!
A dark photo of the grad in her seat. 
More of our peeps. 
Aaron, Mollie and I had a whole discussion about counting steps when walking up or down stairs (that would be me)....but that led to Mollie saying she taps tables in threes (cray)....which then led to a discussion about Mollie flicking TV channels in a certain number (super cray) which then led Aaron to ask, "Hey Mollie, what's the square root of CBS?" And that caused me to laugh and laugh.   
The main graduate for me.
There's a stage full of fancy robed people with wonderful hats. I'm still so jealous of the hats. As most people know, I'm not a hat person.....BUT I'm certain THIS kind of hat would fit beautifully upon my huge head. 
First post grad pic.
Gotta get one with the Gmaw.
And another.
They look good together, even though John doesn't have an awesome hat.
Group fam.
So hard to choose which one I liked the best. 
More of our spectating peeps, minus Jared.
And again.
Then we had to have one of the three.
Then Jared showed up again and we had to take some more.
He's a little big for Gmaw's lap.
Once more with feeling. 
Maggie looks confused or annoyed. 
Just a couple more. 
Why did I ruin the picture? And Caitlin didn't help either.
This was another good one.
Looking good Em.
Half a Maggie photo bomb.
One sans Maggie.
Not sure why the girls are giving the side eye.
One more.
The proud parents. 
With the grad.
Emma with her empty diploma cover. Diploma coming soon in the mail.
And there you have graduation from my camera's point of view. I still love a graduation. Next year we'll have three! Plus a wedding and who knows what else. The good news is, we're growing as a family, and I'm loving all the new additions. Fact of the matter is, we've been getting a little stale so some new blood is just what we need! I'm super excited about it. 

One last note. I survived this graduation just as I knew I would, and whether anyone understands it or not, kids growing up is together exciting and heartbreaking, fun and sad, expected as well as shocking. I think I enjoyed the growing up as it happened. I know I'd do a better job of appreciating it more if I could do it again. But I'm certain I'd be completely exhausted if I did. So here's to Emma's finishing one thing and moving on to another....whatever it may be. I know it's gonna be great. 

Love, Mom

And don't forget...to my kids as well as the rest of you, we'll always be near. Praying, loving, cheering, expecting.....in anticipation of something wonderful.

Can't wait to see what comes next.....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am happy that I am documented as being there even though you can't see my face. And I have a good pic of the big stick!! you'll have to give it it's own post hahaha!! Well done and sooooo looking forward to all the new events in the fam!!!!

gnar car said...

"what's the square root of CBS" cracked. me. up.

love the documentation! hate that i wasn't there to enjoy!!!